Advise and reassurance

Posted , 4 users are following.

Because of back pain I had been taking 200mg of progablin in the evening. Again today I have tried to start taking it during the day, I took 50mg at 11:30 now still at 5 my head feels terrible, I know drugs take time to get into your system but I had hoped taking 200 in the evening for a few months would have built some tolerance.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Ok Zerodark, just read this post and possibly now understand why you have asked the question of my being almost pain free. We all must realise that drugs that work for one do not always work for another. As in Gabapenten - I reacted badly to this, but know others that have not. I was already on Codeine for a number of years before I was given Pregablin (as in my post to your question earlier) but I find the combination works for me and has certainly hit my Sciatica on the head. It works for neuropathic pain and has nothing to do with the Codeine as a combination in my case. Codeine for arthritis - Pregabalin for neuropathic pain. No problems have emerged taking the two together and had I not been on codeine I still think Pregab would have worked on its own for sciatica. Yes I feel sleepy sometimes (even now after nearly 5 months) but just deal with it. I am in the process of moving 100 miles away and have to pack my life up on my own and move into a new home. True, I forget things sometimes and suffer brain-fog but I am almost pain free now and this enables me to deal with everything if I just recognise when I need to rest and when I can work.If you have to work during the week (I am now retired) I can understand how it could be a problem for you. You can only talk with your GP for either reassurance or a change of meds. Whatever happens, I wish you well and pain free very soon.
    • Posted

I have tried most things in the past I am 42 and I am alone and in pain
    • Posted

I am deeply sorry to hear this.Do you work during the day? I too am alone and have gone through some very hard times with health issues. I wish I could suggest something that would help you but of course I do not know your history and only your GP can have understanding of your back pain. Mine I guess was easy to diagnose once the DEXA Scan showed my bones were full of holes and brittle as twigs. I also guess that you have had lots of Xrays and scans etc. to identify the cause which may not as yet have been found. Unexplained pain with no medical relief is very hard to deal with and I can begin to understand the isolation and distress it causes. I do know that Pregablin if given a chance can deal with neuropathic pain as in my case, and I did have to put up with brain fog, headaches and sleepiness for weeks ( actually was glad of the sleep because I had no sleep for over 7 months cos of 24/7 pain even with the slightest movement of my leg or body), and now I am able to operate almost normally, resting when I feel the need to and just enjoying movement again. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and I genuinely hope you get the help you need soon. 
    • Posted

Please see my reply to Deryneliza below. It is important that you read all sides of the story but if the side effects are too much for you after you have been on this drug for 6 weeks plus please see your GP again to discuss them in full and take further advice. As you are off work you do have time to adjust to the sleepiness but depending on other side effects you may feel unable to start back to work whilst still on them. I really do hope you get pain relief soon and keep us informed.
  • Posted

it seems peoples tolerance to pregabalin varies tremendously and doctors dont know what the reaction will be. Unfortunately it does seems try it and see. I personally do not think it should be a drug of choice because in the clinic I work in so many people have reported bad side effects that can get worse with time and coming off it can be difficult and has to be done very slowly.On the other hand some people must have good results otherwise doctors would not continue to prescribe it.. Sorry not veery helpful
    • Posted

You are quite right in your assessment - I had tried 2 alternatives before I was prescribed Pregabalin (my GP told me it is her 'end' choice because it is so expensive!). The side effects of Gabapenten were too much for me and when my left arm/hand swelled badly plus I developed a rash my GP took me off them. The only side effects of Pregab have been a dry mouth (as with all these types of drugs), dizziness which now has all but gone after 3 months, brain fog (which GP thinks could also be down to trauma of nearly losing my sight), and on rare days now sudden sleepiness which cannot be denied. To be pain free from the dreadful sciatica is worth the world to me and as this has been achieved on a relatively low dosage (100mg first thing in morning and 100mg 3 hours before bedtime) I feel it is worth the personal risk. If I come off them, the pain will return as the sciatic nerve is so badly trapped and there is nothing I can do to release it. I have been forbidden to have any form of manipulation as my bones are too brittle. This is my story but as you rightly say, this drug has its downsides and all of these should be taken into account before taking it. I am certainly not advocating it for others unless they talk things through with their GP fully and absolutely. I hope this clears up any misunderstandings my post may have caused.

• Posted

I am suffering terrible back pain due to anxiety pulling my nerves and too my hands I have read so many good things about progablin it's the only thing keeping me going I have two young boys and I want to be there daddy again but I can't see them like this

• Posted

Anxiety is the cause of many ailments - I can only say that the decision is yours as to whether you stay on Pregab and give it a fair chance or not. If you believe it will help you continue, if there are bad side effects for you go and see your GP again. I hope it works and soon you can free of pain enough to see and play with your children again. God speed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.