Advise on fillings.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I had a deep filling done on a back molar next to my wisdom tooth 4 months ago and had sensitivity to heat before returning to my dentist who found nothing wrong with the filling but saw I also had decay on the wisdom tooth next to it which might be the problem. I went to a different dentist (long story) who did the wisdom tooth filling. It's been a month since that filling and I am still getting sensitivity to heat but it seems less intense than before the 2nd filling was done. I went back to my dentist telling him I don't know which filling is causing the problem who basically said as long as it's not getting worse and shows improvement however slowly just keep giving it time as root canal should not be rushed. My question is how long should I give it before going back again? Personally I think the issue is the 2nd filling as it definitely wears off quicker since having that done while before it would linger etc. Problem is they are right next to each other so it's hard to tell. I get no pain other than heat and a little bit cold. It doesn't wake me up at night or anything.

Regards

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Jon, I'd say give it a bit longer provided the pain isn't getting worse. You'll certainly know about it if you're developing an abscess - that's an excruciating pain that doesn't let up, and you can't bear even to touch the tooth with your tongue.

That second dentist sounds trustworthy. I can personally vouch for the fact that root canals should be avoided for as long as possible. (Another long story!)

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, it definitely seems to be getting better or maybe staying the same at the moment. It's more of an annoyance that won't go away rather than excruciating pain (for now) lol. My first dentist gave me a bad impression by not really listening to problems I had. Didn't trust him! Can fillings take a long time to heal properly? Ive had 2 lots of xrays and no indication of infection so I'm gonna Give it until my next check up

Kind regards!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, in my experience fillings can take quite a long time to settle down. However, it might be worth checking with your dentist as to whether both fillings were correctly filed down so as not to interfere with your bite. The slightest raised area on a filling can mean that chewing can put just that little bit of extra pressure on the affected tooth.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yeah, after receiving any type of filling there is an uncommon kind of sensitivity that sometimes occured, but no longer.in the event that you have any sort of sensitivity after a filling is placed well after give time to adjust, but don't neglect consult good dentist.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up