advised to change from tablets to injection

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have terrible reflux with the tablets (my GORD was well controlled prior to 25mg /week )Acid in mouth 2 to 3 nights a week.Had to miss dose this week due to infection and was fineRheumatology nurse advises injectionWill this stop this side effect?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillian,  All I was told is that injections bypass the digestion system and go straight into the blood stream... This made sense to me.. so it should help relieve anything to do with the digestive system, definitely sounds worth a try.  I wouldnt say I was trouble free on Methotrexate, but I dont get intestinal trouble any more, so I have far fewer side effects.  Good luck!!
  • Posted

Hi. I changed 6 months ago from oral to sub cut methotrexate and it's made a huge difference. I tend to feel a bit off about 12 hours after I inject so try to make sure I'm asleep then. Gastric sidea effects are gone

• Posted

Hi Vickythanks for the comment.Like you my GI side effects have gone.I am on 25mg/week but am finding that for 1to2 days before injection due effects wear off and end up back on painkillers as joints play up.Is this usual?
    • Posted

I don't get that. I take a nsaid every night though so that maybe prevents the pain. If I have to miss a week of mtx for any reason I'm a mess though, same if I forget the nsaid at night!!

• Posted

Unfortunately due to kidney problems am not allowed to take NSAIDs hence tramadol and paracetamol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.