Advocacy for me in uk

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have GAD agoraphobia and panic disorder and my gp surgery keeps treating me like everything i go in to see them about is mental health related. I never get taken seriously. For instance i told my gp I've had heart palpitations since last July and she said its anxiety. She never even listened to my hesrt or took my blood pressure. Now im suffering with reoccuring galkbladder pain and i end up with a gp on the phone saying 'welk what do you want me to do about it?'

I don't know what to do anymore. I think they've written on my notes that im a loon and a hypochondriac. Who can i turn to to help me bearing in mind i have anxiety and in not very confident in rubbish at picking up the phone to talk to people and in agoraphobic sad

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Wow, am sorry you're having problems ...do any of your friends or family have a dr you might b comfortable with ?? Or do you see someone for the anxiety n agoraphobia ? . I hate that my med records so history of mental illness .., everyone is do quick to judge .... I was a nurse so I've been on both ends ..., mental health patients .., I felt n feel need a chance ... Have the problem is ... You're scared or afraid you'll say something .., my dr n Pa. Aren't like that , the dr used to be. But we've gotten to know one another . Is there a facility that could put you in touch with another dr. Hang in there. ... Slow deep breathes 🌹Hugs
  • Posted

Sending healing energy to those with mental illness. This includes anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, personality disorders, and any other feeling that is not comfortable. Praying that you find peace and comfort. Praying that your mind be healed and released from it's illness. Sending you love and light for joy and comfort! <3 you="" are="" loved!=""><3>
  • Posted

One idea - is there an NHS walk-in centre nearby you could go to? Could a friend go with you if you don't want to go on your own? Just present your symptoms and see what they say.
  • Posted

I phoned 999 once, LOL. I told the paramedics when they arrived that I was in terribly unbearable pain in my chest and I'm sure it is heartburn, but I've taken 12 heartburn tablets in the last 6 hours and the pain just keeps getting worse. So, they took me down the hospital and did loads of tests, so then I found out that I am OK and healthy.

I realise you are phobic of people and of going out, but when the paramedics get there, demand diazepam or valium to calm you down or else you will get hysterical when they try take you out of your home. All you need is to be very well checked out so you know if something is wrong or not.

Your Doctor probably is convinced your symptoms are only your mental health problems playing up, but how can your doctor know that without checking you properly??? Doctors can make us so mad sometimes! They should at least check, just in case. I know your frustration.

Some people with mental health problems experience physical symptoms when nothing is wrong physically. This happened to my sister. She got all kinds of terrible physical symptoms and pain in various places, even rashes now and then, real physical symptoms, but it was her mind all the time. Once she was on proper medication for delusions and psychosis, the physical symptoms stopped, thank god.

I hope you find a way to get properly checked out soon so you know if you are actually sick or if your mind is making you think you are sick. Best of luck, and I'm holding thumbs for you. Big hugs x x

• Posted

Cant you put in a request for a new gp. Even if it takes a while its worth leaving. She severly profiled you and it compromising the healthcare you are recieving. Im not in the uk but ive read similiar situation in this forum. Your gp should be ashamed of herself anxiety, or any mental condition is not amtrade off for perfect health. Disgusting. You deserve proper health care! 
  • Posted

I know this is going to sound blunt but my advice - change doctors. They're obviously not taking you seriously so why try to waste your time and energy convincing them and getting more and more stressed if they don't want to listen to you. Change doctors, then I'd write a letter to your new GP telling him/her how your feeling (be completely honest) but whatever you do, do not see them first! I know this sounds drastic and seems like a crafty way to get their attention but trust me, seriously by then they will literally have no way of getting out of the situation if you're open and tell then exactly how you're feeling. It's not trickery either, think of it as a positive appoach....Your doing nothing wrong asking for help and being listened to and all GPs should know how to do their jobs properly and that means taking all their patients seriously! They will have no choice but to take you seriously.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.