AF

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi to everyone. Lately I have been diagnosed with AF. I was given anticoagulant (Eliquis). Is AF serious? I am a mathematics professor. My classes are in the fourth floor of one building where I climb the stairs three times on Mon, wed and fri. On tues and thurs, I go from building to another building from 7am to 4pm. I do not have history on heart disease and bad cholesterol tho I have hyperthyrodism for ten years now which is being monitored. I am asthmatic too and take simbicort twice a day. No one in my family has /had hear disease. Actually my mother's cousins are ages 96,98, 100 and stiil live. My father died of larengeal cancer a year ago. I hope I could be enlightened with my condition now.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

BTW, I am 53 years old. with 130 pounds weight and 5"9 tall. I monitor my weight too.
  • Posted

Good morning. AF is quite common and nothing to worry about unduely. I am guessing you have been put on Apixaban pending Cardioversion. In my case I developed AF due to Congestive Heart Failure and even though this is quite seriuos I was cardioverted and with the help of medication I was leading a full and active life. I was fitted with a Pacemaker back in May to help my damaged heart work more efficiently and feel pretty much back to normal. From what you say I don't think your situation is as seriuos and Cardioversion should hopefully get you back on track. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Tet ,  it seems that your AF is mild and somesort of common type. 

The best treatment is digoxin 0.25 or lanoxin ( skip two days in week ) + metoprolol 25 mg bid . 

Do a regular exersice and aerobic 15 minutes a day. Not a big deal. 

Sincerely. Dr . Aidin

• Posted

Thanks for enlightening me Dr. Aidin.
    • Posted

thank you for enlightening me Dr. Aidin. 
    • Posted

You are welcome .

Dr. Aidin

• Posted

Digoxin...seriously?

Researched on my own behalf after discovering it made my type of AF much worse. Also metopranol for Vagal AF NOT RECOMMENDED.

There are different types of AF and people should have a thorough work up by a Cardiologist if they experience it.

Ive had AF fo15 years and it's a life changer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.