Af issue

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had af since 09. Had an ablation. I still had short bouts of af once in a while, seldom, 2012 woke at night with it and had 6 hours I did not remember anything until my heart went back to rythym. They found I had had a Tia. Who knows when though. I had to go on pradaxa  permanently.  Then oct of 15 I had an episode that lasted 1 week. The Dr put me on flecainide   Then changed it to multag. Exactly 2.5 months later I had another episode. Had a cardioversion  worked. Then about 2.5 months later once again. This time after the first time after in af for on week, the me changed to amiodorone, I wasn't very happy knowing the side effects.  After three weeks, still in af. stopped Amiodarone and started flecainide.100 every 12 hours  me was going to do cardioversion but I went back in to rythym   I am 80 lbs overweight and he won't do another ablation until I lose 50.   My main question, has anyone had these kind of issues. I am worried will have another episode in a few weeks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I do not think I can be of much assistance. I am contacting you because I can relate to your concerns.

I am almost 70 and live in Malaysia. Had an ablation for WPW about 4 years ago as I suffered bouts of palpitation everytime I am under stressed or consume food with MSG. My cardiologist declared the ablation successful but within 18 months I felt weak and suffered from dizziness. Upon examination I was informed I have Afib. Wore a Holter and it showed that my heart flatlined 3 times in 24 hours! As there was no guarantee that another ablation would end my Afib and I cannot aford multiple ablations my cardiologist recommended that I install a heart pacer. Had a pacer installed last December and the pacer was set to regulate my heart rate so it won't drop below 50 bpm.

The procedure did not 'cure' my Afib. I still get bouts of weaknesses when my BP falls too low. Sometimes I feel my heart flutter when it goes above a 100 bpm.

I find that maintaining my ideal weight helps (I am a little overweight) and it surely would be helpful to be physically fit.

I try to lead a normal life and have accepted that I will have Afib for the rest of my life.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

I started having tachycardia when I was in my 20s. Lots of PVC's. Never really under control. Then af. I am 64. Helps to here other people's issues. This forum is a great help. Thank u

• Posted

100 gms twice a day = 200 per diem  of flecainide is not a high dose. I was taking 400mg as a pill in the pocket strategy to stop the onset of an episode until it became ineffective. Loosing weight will help but not easy especially if you're having periodic AF. 

Its fairly typical of paroxysmal AF to have intermittent episodes that resolve themselves to begin with. Mine lasted over almost 20 years but the pattern was different to yours.

Physical exertion would bring on an episode that would resolve quite quickly providing I stopped what I was doing, took pills and preferably slept. Work out what your triggers are.. coffee, alcohol are both common

So yes, expect more episodes -stop what youre doing, ask your doc if you can take some more flecainide and then rest preferably sleep.

Get yourself a blood pressure monitor

Do you know what your BP and heart rate were during your episodes of AF? 

In my case it was not until "the end" that I was effectively disabled with AF and could not stop it without intervention, with 180/200+ BP range. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.