AF Meds and Shortness of Breath

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ever since I have been on AF medication I have had issues with exercise. In particular, I very quickly get out of breath when walking uphill.

I've discussed it with medics but have never had clear answers. And TBH, I am not 100% sure that I didn't have the problem before I started AF meds. I am on other meds for other conditions, as well as Sotalol and Warfarin for AF.

Can anyone offer comparable experiences? I'm a retired man around 70, in the UK.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Bit older than you. I seem to fill it going uphill...on meds too...Idon't know what I felt before either since diagnosed...didn' feel this years ago..meds or afib or both. wonder what I would feel without any meds. have kind wiith few symptoms thankfully but scary anyway

• Posted

Exactly me Bampa.  Was ok before AF kicked in, so don't know, same as you, if it's the meds!  They do slow everything down so my guess it is that.  I'm off bisoprolol now as it stopped working, 3 attacks in 3 months.  Now on Sotalol and dabigatran - fingers X.  I just exercise on the flat now,  good wishes to you. I'm 73 by the way.  Hate the damn thing. 

• Posted

Thanks Pauline and good wishes to you too. I was also on Bisoprolol for a few weeks, together with Flecainide - didn't suit me at all, in AF permanently. Now just a bout every 3 weeks approx. I find it manageable, but I would like to be more active again. I'm slower on the flat, and very poor on hills. But I did a treadmill test in cardiology out-patients, and they thought it was OK!

Problem is distinguishing effects of the ailment(s), effects of the meds, and effects of just getting older!

• Posted

Was put on sotorol in hospital after I received my pacemaker. Within 5 doses. I was short of breath and on oxygen. Once I insisted on not taking it anymore, shortness of breath went away within another 5 days. If u read the side affects of sotorol, shortness of breath is one of them.  My doc doesn't necessarily agree, but I know once I went off it, i got better. Also u might want to ask your doc for one of the newer blood thinners vs warafin. Pradaxa is the only one of the newer blood thinners that has a reversal factor and needs no monitoring and has no dietary restrictions. But u can't take it if u have any heart valve problems.   Good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks Suzanne. So what beta blocker are you on now - if any? And best of luck to you too!
    • Posted

I'm on Metopropol - 50 mg twice a day.  I hope to get that cut in half once I see my cardio doc for my pacemaker follow-up visit.  The fewer/lesser dose meds I'm on, the more I feel like myslef -- instead of a zombie. 

• Posted

About your age. Got pacemaker installed last December.

On wafarin. Also on Atenolol. Used to be 50 mg but when I persistantly got low blood pressure I reduced intake from 50 mg to 25 mg.

My persistent loss of energy resulted from the drop in my BP and my BP became more managable when I reduce my intake of beta blocker. Also observed that my BP is affected by lack of sleep or rest.

• Posted

Hello, this can definitely be linked to medication.  I have had AF on and off for 20 years and have noticed that beta blockers and other AF medication slows the heartrate down making it more difficult for the body to respond adequately when exercising.  It is a bit like trying to run with a handbrake on.

Patrick

• Posted

Hi Bampa ive had heart problems since a child and suffered on and off with AF. Years ago i was on a drug called atenalol witch use to make me feel worse even in sinus rythem i would suffer palputaion tiedness and breathless. But in 2003 after having a mitral valve repair done i was put on sotalol and ramapril. and once ramapril was in my system i felt better. thankfully i remained in sinus rythem for 10 years or more. i do belive that some beta blockers just are not right for certain people, i hated how atenlol made me feel. You should speak to your doctor and explain how you feel and ask to try different meds.   Am sorry but are you in AF now? because in my experience no beta blocker will help me its a night mere coping with stairs and hills well hills lol slight incline and am done in am 44 and been in af since late feb just had interneal cardioversion which failed last week. now waiting for ablation 6 months waiting list. if your in sinus rythem then tell your doctor that you dont think the meds agree with you because what works for one person dont mean it will for everyone.  good luck. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.