AF Mended

Posted , 7 users are following.

Sharing my fortunate experience to hopefully benefit others…about a year ago I was a frequent reader of this blog.

My first AF episode was 20 years ago in my mid 30’s.  It occurred every few years thereafter and would convert with rest and Diltiazem after a day or two.  Then a couple of years ago the rate and duration increased greatly, with some episodes lasting over a month.  The trigger was usually a cold drink.  Typically when in one of the prolonged episodes there would be an irregular heart beat every 10 to 30 beats.  After a meal the irregular frequency was much higher.  I lost 20 lbs!

My cardiologist is the best and tried to help by recommending stronger and regular prescriptions but I suspected the root cause was some physiological imbalance.  I am active and exercise regularly (though not when in AF – a flight of stairs was all I could manage).

I researched on the Internet and probably read hundreds of articles and blogs. The best find was “Naturopathic Medicine for a Common Condition” by Dr. Paul R. Saunders.  Based on the research I started on a daily dose of supplements (Fish Oil, Multivitamin, CoQ10, Potassium Iodide, Low dose aspirin, Taurine, Magnesium, L-arginine).  I greatly reduced hard liquor consumption, though still drink beer and wine regularly.  I avoid cold drinks of course though still have in some social situations, but take it slow with small sips.

It has been a year since my last episode.  After starting the new regiment it took about a month for that episode to clear, and I had one short reoccurrence shortly after that.  I am now healthy, and have put most of those 20 lbs back on unfortunately.  I recently completed my first triathlon and am looking forward to the next.  Perhaps I am not cured but have at least delayed any pharmaceutical or surgical approaches.

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have just been reading your comment and checked out the author mentioned. Very interesting research and outcomes. Thank you for posting.
  • Posted

hi Ruzam,

?From my own experience and stuff I've read, and following advice from my Nutritionist I would say you are almost describing an almost classic 'Vagal Nerve' cause of your AF. I am not taking the full range of stuff you are and cold drinks are not an issue for me, but, masses of types of food are. I take Arctic Cod Liver oil daily and also the CoQ10 and have substantially changed my diet over the last 6 years or so. I still take, however, my prescribed meds, i.e. Warfarin, bisoprolol statins and a BP med.  My last AF event was in April 2015. Like you, I don't regard my AF as cured but it sure as hell is well and truly neutralised. I have had no surgical intervention either.

?John

?

• Posted

Very interesting John.  I want to go down the supplement route as I feel it would help me, but I'm worred in case the nutritionist know what clashes with the meds,  are most of them knowledgeable enough in your opinion? When I asked my cardiologist about taking magnesium, he said not to.   All the best, keep up the good work, 

• Posted

Hi Pauline did he say why not to take magnesium? I have just started on it 😳

• Posted

Magnesium is exceptionally important for everything in the body that moves.  It is a natural statin and it also complements calcium in several processes, like blood clotting.

Magnesium also acts as a blood thinner, by competing with calcium, so if you are on a blood thinner, magnesium might make things problematic - blood too thin could lead to excessive bleeding problems.

Are you on a blood thinner? If so, that is why your cardiologist does not want you taking additional magnesium.

My recommendation is to get off the blood thinner and on the magnesium - but beware of that suggestion since you have no idea about who I am....in general blood thinners do help, but not as much as natural means, like adequate magnesium amounts.

Frank

• Posted

Hi Bea, no they didn't, but if you read Frank's reply to me below it's to do with being on blood thinners, which I am, so that's prob the reason,  good luck with the magnesium, are you on anti coagulant?  all the best. 

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

?My Nutritionist is a member of B.A.N.T - now I am of course assuming you are in Britain - British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy. do suggest you look up B.A.N.T online and read up and form your own opinions. There is a bit on the website that can help you locate one in your area. My experience was that  my Nutritionist was qualified and skilled and if they lack knowledge on any matter they would say so. Of course as a precaution you could always go online and run a check yourself on the compatibility of 'alternative therapies' on drugs you are prescribed. Or have a face to face meeting with your Pharmacist. Most large pharmacies these days have a small private 'consulting room' where you can have a good conversation on such matters.

?I have never been prescribed - and nor has it been suggested I take - magnesium. In the case of the Arctic Cod Liver Oil and the coQ10 both were prescribed by my Nutritionist - now I do stress I pay top money for these products because they are NOT 'Off the shelf' products. nothing wrong with off the shelf stuff - so long as you know about and understand the ingredients bit on the label.

Hope this helps.

John

• Posted

Hi Pauline yes I'm on warfarin I'm so glad I saw your comment I had no idea it could effect my INR I just thought easyer than eating bunches of bananas 😐 Thank you il stop them now , regards Bea x

• Posted

Thanks so much for that John, I will do my research, and if it makes you feel better it's got to be worth every penny.  Keep well.  Pauline

• Posted

Hi Bea, pleased advice helping you, but funnily enough I found eating a banana once when I was in Spain caused me to have a blip, not serious, but scary.   I haven't eaten a whole banana since then, may try a few slices of my hubbies on my b,fast.  Interesting about magnesium tho, I always used to take cod liver oil, but scared now to take anything, in case!  Keep strong Bea X  

• Posted

Hi I'm so glad to read this post thank you and I'm going to look the author up now 😊 So glad your well I was diagnosed 2 years ago but I went to pieces it took over my life I lived on salmon grapes and bananas I lost 2 stone but looked so ill I'm trying to follow the fodmap diet now and drink lots of warm water , chocolate, alcohol and cheese and spicy food give me skipped beats etc so mine is def made worse by certain foods but this post as made my day 😊👍

• Posted

Hi bea,

?Yeah, well I found FODMAPS too, but, it is a bit severe for me - nevertheless - I do pick bits and pieces out if it. I combine that with going gluten and Wheat free and I've also gone added sugar free too. 'every little helps' so to speak.

?I also kept a 'food diary' embracing food eaten, date eaten and the body response. Over a long time I was able to identify offending foods and cut them out. My last AF event now was in April 2015. Gluten,. Wheat, Oats, fruit and veg were the worst offenders. If i ate according to the mantra '5 or 7 fruit and veg a day' I'd be in the bathroom for half a day at least - and quite ill with it !

John

• Posted

Ruzam - ace to read a positve outcome, thanks!

Folks, in your experience or knowledge, which foods are most rich in Magnesium and did increased consumption help you? Ditto Taurine?

• Posted

Liz

many of us in the USA figure we cannot count on the web to provide accurate numbers for magnesium in plants; soil deterioration can account for that. So, even though spinach is listed (from 10 years ago) as being rich in magnesium, real numbers are much lower.

Almonds are listed as being loaded with magnesium, and they might be, but...

Frank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.