Affordable shoes that are good for orthotic inserts

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone this is my first post! I've had pain for almost 13 weeks but have been diagnosed with pf for only 4 weeks. I am currently doing pt for 6 weeks, 2 times per week. Anyway, I am picking up my orthotic inserts in a few days, as of right now I've been surviving in a pair of spenco flip flops, and a cheap pair of inserts in my $20 danskin sneakers. I've never worn good shoes (which is probably why I'm having foot problems now) so I'm at a loss here, I don't have a lot of money to spend thankfully the spenco flip flops were so nicely given to me by my physical therapist for free, but I need some affordable shoes to get me into the winter time that I can put my orthotics in or shoes I don't need the inserts in that have great support. I hate wearing tennis shoes and sneakers, I always typically wore uggs clogs and boots in the winter so this has been a hard change for me. Any suggestion of cute shoes?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Well... Idk about women's shoes but shoes that have good support.. are expensive. Even my last pair of sketchers that were reasonable $50ish.. and comfortable. 3 months in and the support is fading fast. If your getting custom otho support maybe some mid price range will work. The problem I notice is that they have support and then my inserts don't seam to fit right. It's a struggle! Sorry this isn't helpful. Lol

• Posted

No that definitely helps thank you! I was looking at sketchers to put my inserts in and I didn't even think of the inserts not fitting into certain shoes. I guess I won't really be able to buy anything until I get the inserts in a couple days. This is so frustrating to basically switch my entire shoe wardrobe and so expensive lol idk how much I will even owe on my inserts yet lol

• Posted

I have been pitying my cheap gel inserts into my shoes and it seems to help. Someone suggested orthotics but aren't they usually hard? I thought the cushioning is important ? So confused. For me at least putting the extra cushioning seems to help but if I walk too much I get pain again

• Posted

That should be putting. Although st times I do pity myself lol
    • Posted

Lol! I'm not really sure, two of my aunts had pf and one said the orthotics did nothing and the other said they work wonders. So I suppose everyone is different. My insurance covers 80% or up to $350 so I figured it's worth a shot lol

• Posted

I guess I'll see if I keep improving without it. I think my insurance would cover it though Let me know if it works for you. Thanks

• Posted

i have found that the harder ones don't work for me. they ususally hurt too much.  I want support but it obviously has to be just right.  and that is the problem.  Some ppl have pain in the heel?  but my pain is more in the arches. 

• Posted

Hi Jull, Yes the cushioning is very important for most of us and all I use are the gel heel inserts that are cheap so I have them in all my trainers and walking boots and with calf stretching exercises I have hardly any pain, just a twinge to let me know its still there ready to come back if I stop the gel inserts. I do have the harder insoles for my ski boots as gel inserts are not a good idea for ski boots and they do appear to work as well but were 10 times the price.
    • Posted

I just ordered two more gel inserts yesterday. Thanks for your input

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.