Affraid to go to the doctor - Self Harm

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

Havnt been on here in a while.  I've got an appointment with my doctor that my mother has made for me (im 42) to see about my self harming.  Ive been doing it since September and am affraid the doctor is going to critisize me or tell me its stupid and that i shouldnt be doing it. I know its wrong to do,  but dont think I can take him being negative to me. Also He has refed me to a therapist in the past for other issues which I only went for two session because I had different councilors each time and felt I had no consistency. So will he tell me off for that as well for not going. Feel really anxious and im working myself up. Any advice please. thanks in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi your doctor will be very supportive. . Noway do you have to worry about that.. being hard on you will make things worse & he knows this.. he.l also understand your reason for not going once you tell him. I think he.l most likely refer you to see a phyciatrist which is at least a 12 week wait. It's immediate if you go to your local walk in .. so if things get worse for you after seeing your doc do that.. but really dnt worry about your app .. ??

• Posted

hi sorry you are having such a difficult time self harm is an illness just like any other and im sure your doctor will treat it as such.  it seems like you need to get to the cause of what is making you do this to yourself explain your reasons to the doctor about the therapy and see if there is something else they can surgest.  The doctor is not there to punish or critisize you but to listen and help you try not to get worked up and just be honest with the doctor good luck take care. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice. I know why I do it, well i did when it started.  My husband tried to kill me in Mar 2015 and it all started when he was due out of prison. Hes out now and hasnt caused me any trouble at all but I cant seem to stop self harming. Any little thing that upsets me starts me off again. I just think because im "causing" myself injury the doctor will have a negative attitude as if im wasting his time.

• Posted

im so sorry its sounds like you have had it tough.  The doctor shouldnt view your condition with a negative attitude as with any mental health issue its not a choice im an agorophobe i dont chosse to live like i do if i coild go out to the shops or park i would.  Doctors are now being more helpful to people with mental health issues thankfully try to not get too worked up about the appointment and talk with the doctor about what treatment you feel is best and hopfully you will find a solution that works for you both. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.