After 16years I am hoping to look normal again

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi, I have had all the treatment every one else has had, and now feel brave enough to have surgery. I am going to Bristol,and Nick Patel is going to do the opp, he seems the best one I have heard about. Can anyone let me know what to expect,as I am very nervious. Thanks guys

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When I had mine I was out for what felt like a blink of an eye and surgery was done. I had no idea that I had been in surgery for 6 hours, in my mind I felt like the effects of the drugs were barely taking effect. Nevertheless, once the drugs wear out, expect pain, uncomfortable sleep or lack of sleeo nausea, and the worse headache you've ever experienced. My headaches subsided and throbbing pain subsided after the second or third week and I went back to work on the 5th week of recovery under light duty.

Oh I forgot to mention the best part, I woke up spasm free from the get go. Those two three weeks of he'll ish recovery were well worth it.

Confidence is a hell of a thing to lose over such a horrid condition. Go for it and best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Lesley, So pleased to hear you've bitten the bullet and will be having surgery with Nik Patel.  You know that you can always ring me if there's anything I can help you with.  The thinking about it is far worse than actually doing it, but it has to be respected as major surgery nonetheless.  Looking forward to hearing how it goes.  Do you have a date yet?  Cheers, Angela

• Posted

Hi Roseanne  good to hear from you, my date is Oct  14th, feeling a bit nervious about it, but hopefully if successfully l think it will be worth it. I will let you know how it goes, thank you for contacting me.x
    • Posted

Hi I am going in for my opp 19th June. Excited but very nervious.
    • Posted

Hi,I have my opp 19th  June,my date got changed,all ready to go,a bit nervious,but also excited at the same time.take care xx
    • Posted

Will be rooting for you on Monday Lesley.  Wishing you the very best outcome and a safe and uncomplicated surgery.  Good to talk to you earlier!!!  With love.
  • Posted

Good luck Lesley with your operation.I will be very interested to know how you get on as I am going to have a consultation with Nik Patel early August.

Marilyn

• Posted

Hi, my op date is 14th October, l will let you know how it all goes, good luck with you're consultation, keep in touch x

• Posted

Hi Lesley

I know how you feel, I swore I'd never have the surgery but after 12 years I'm giving in, Nik Patel will do my operation next Friday....I will post updates on here when I'm on the mend. Keep positive, if I can do it anyone can. Good luck!??

• Posted

Hi suzi, I hope you are doing ok, get well soon and please keep in touch,.heres to a good out come and a speedy recovery xx☺️
    • Posted

Hi Lesley

My op's delayed until this Thursday 1.30pm guessing yours may have been delayed too or have you had yours? Just more time to be nervous! I just want it over with now. Thank you so much for your words & I do hope it goes well for you too, will keep in touch X

• Posted

Hi Sue, just to say I hope it will go well on Thursday.  You've certainly waited long enough to be rid of this thing.  Wishing you the very best and looking forward to hearing how you're doing.  You know that you are in the best of hands.  With love, A

• Posted

Wishing you all the very best for tomorrow.It will be such a relief for you when it's all over.

take care and we would all like t hear from you when you're feeling up to it.

love

Marilyn

• Posted

Hi !

Thank you so much, just hope it goes as well as yours did! Love Sue

• Posted

Thank you so much Marilyn, will endeavour to post a message asap ! 😄
    • Posted

Hi Lesley, had the op at 4 this pm, amazed how ok I feel other than a bad head. So pleased it's over & Nik Patel said he'd moved the blood vessel in question.

Realised your op date is my birthday!

Hope this confirms for you it's worth it x

• Posted

Hi Marilyn

Op went well, Mr Patel said he moved the blood vessel from the nerve. I feel really good, recovered from the anaesthetic pretty quickly. Just expected headaches but not bad. Still have weak spasms but should deplete in time. Thank you for your wishes

Sue X

• Posted

Fantastic news.So glad to hear all went well and that spasms seem much better.

I am seeing Mr Patel for a consultation next Wednesday and hope he will be positive about another operation for me.

take care and continue to get better.

love

Marilyn

• Posted

Hi. How are you now? How many days post op ?

Did you get very dizzy and can you now move around ok ?

I have gone from being really scared about it to being very envious of those that have had the op as just want it done and over with .

I had a consult with Nik Patel last week about my MVD surgery and I must say he does put you very much at ease. 

How long did you have to wait for the op. I was told it could be up to a year,

Very best wishes

Denise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.