After Cataract surgery, removing a dot?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

It's been almost a year so I think i'm very very late to ask this but i'm starting to worry about this. I'm noticing my vision getting a little worse on my right eye.

I had my left eye surgery for cataract first and one day after the surgery, I met my surgeon/doctor to check if it was fine and I remember him removing a ''dot'' with a needle. It was inside the clinic/hospital room, it wasn't something to be scared of or something dangerous. He gave me an antobiotic drop for a few days after that. However, for my right eye, I do not remember having doing that removing thing after the surgery. I'm really not sure what is this ''dot''. I'm just a bit paranoid about it since I really don't remember about it.

My optometrist also said that my vision might get blurried a little after a while but all I have to do is go to a hospital to ''clean'' it or something.

I plan to go to the hospital to have a check up about all this however i'm in college and it's very complicated to get a right time for an appointement. It would be great if I could stop worrying about this or if know if I have to go ASAP and see my doctor.

*Side note: I'm apparently one of the rare cases of a young 18 years old patient with cataract without a physical accident like in a sport.

-Peter Tran, a young student very anxious about this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You may be developing a secondary cataract behind IOL. If so it can be dealt with quickly and easily with procedure using a YAG laser. IF it is that it's definitely no emergency.

I've develpoed the secondary cataract, but can't have the YAG, until I decide what if anything to do about trying to replace my IOL, which causes a variety of annoying visual problems.

Good luck.

• Posted

IOL = intraocular lens

YAG is the type of laser used in the procedure to deal with the secondary cataract that often forms behind the IOL, after cataract surgery. The procedure is thus sometimes called the YAG procedure or just the YAG.

• Posted

Thanks for the answer. For the laser, is it a surgery or something to be done easily when I meet the doctor at a hospital?
    • Posted

According to my wife, it's quick easy and painless, but don't know if your doctor would or is equipped to do it on the spot. You might well need an appointment to have it done.

Suggest you google "YAG laser procedure" to read what it's about and contact your doctor's office see how they would handle it, assuming that's what you need.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.