AFTER HIP REPLACEMENT

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Hippies,

9 weeks post op trying to sleep on either side but not comfy!!!

Question is Hippies do you sleep with knees and feet together?

Good wishes to everyone

Paula North Wales

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Yep - I do, and I did the first time around too, but insert a large cushion when going onto either side as instructed !

Graham

• Posted

I always was a 'roller', sleeping on front, back, and both sides, just changing position all night long - disturbing my long-suffering wife as I did so.

Sleeping on my back has been a real trial for me, 6 weeks totally on my back, then 4 weeks of gradually getting onto my sides, then the revision operation, so back onto my back again for the last 4 weeks.

I am getting onto my sides again ... without permission I must say twisted, but it was driving me crazy on my back.  I tried moving my knees up and down, tilting a bit, but once I started massaging my scar, I found I could get on my side without pain again.  

I do find I am recovering faster this time around, so maybe that is the answer. It is certainly less painful at the same post-op time, this time around.

Graham

• Posted

I'm with Graham, yes, I always use a large pillow between my legs when sleeping on my side (the only position I can sleep in), and most of the time my knees and feet are together, although one or the other leg may move up or down a bit while sleeping. I also have pillows at my back. I did this for many years before surgery, and I continue to do so since 6 weeks after surgery I was allowed back on my side again.
  • Posted

I was always a front and right-side sleeper before. Now, I am left and back. I have to use the pillow between my legs on the side because it's too uncomfortable otherwise. Sleep is a couple of hours at a time, sometimes because of pain and sometimes because I need to go pee. When on the side, I do the "foetal position", but always with the pillow because it hurts without it. On my back, I sometimes keep my op knee raised. Always sleep against a bank of cushions to help support my lower back.
  • Posted

I know how you feel sleeping in an uncomfortable position, for me back sleeping is very difficult and I have not had 6 week check to go onto my side.  I normally sleep on my stomach and wonder if this will be possible.  I can't imagine how I would get myself round and back againcheesygrin
    • Posted

I think that's the big problem with sleeping on the front - how to get there, and back again.  Also, is your hip at risk of dislocation if your legs are splayed out at your knees, and together at the ankles?

Like Belle, i found raising my knee on my operated leg relieved the discomfort.  

I also find it amazing that no medical professional warned me that I would want to go pee so often - at the start I was worried I might have prostate problems. It was only after discovering this forum I realised it was so common.

Graham

• Posted

Graham, it's amazing to me how much the medical professionals don't warn us about. But I think it is because they are looking at the big picture, of how the healing is going, are we making proper progress and so on, and they don't concern themselves with the "little" things. Of course, those little things are big things to us.

And, as I have discovered, some medical professionals have gaps in their knowledge about even very important things. The surgeon who did my THR is completely clueless about why I cannot balance on one leg coupled with pain, hence my inability to walk without a limp/pain. He thinks "strengthening" and steroids will do the trick. But, no, as I found out from my own research and a new doctor and his team, I have a probable serious gluteus medius tear that will probably require surgery. More scans are going to be done and after results, I will know for sure.

It's kind of scary how much we can be on our own with problems, until we find the best solution. This forum is a god-send for us, and finding the right doctor is, too.

Rant over!

• Posted

How true Annie, it's only when you have a problem and you research it that you find out these things. We think of medical professionals as gods, but they are fallible humans like the rest of us, just doing their job.

This forum is amazing.

Graham

• Posted

Hi Annie,

You're so right. I honestly don't think the man I saw for my routine 8 month check up, wouldve taken a closer look at my xray if I hadn't queried why I couldn't stand on my operated leg unaided. I think he was only concentrating on my replacement joint! He had told me that everything was fine. But it so obviously wasn't when he found the trochanter fracture!

It pays to try to do our own research doesn't it!

All the best to all hippies!

Anna x

• Posted

I had the anterior approach and was told that I could sleep on the unoperated leg side with a pillow between my legs. I bought a king sized pillow and fold it in half. Works great!
  • Posted

I slept on my side the very day of my surgery. Just shoved a pillow between my legs length ways and bliss. I did have a few nights at about week 2 where it became painful but this coincided with me doing far too much walking. Im 3 weeks post op now. Have started physio and although I still keep doing too much walking . Achey leg and joint, I am sleeping far better. Most of the night without drugs.Just couple Ibuprofen during day.
    • Posted

Hi Deb, did you sleep on your side in hospital?  I've read a lot online about sleeping positions post-op and have read that some surgeons allow this whilst most insist on back sleeping.  I'm pre-op and dreading this, being an insomniac anyway frown
    • Posted

Yes I slept on my side just hours after my surgery. I didnt ask permission and no one said otherwise. I did however have my thigh and butt cut open which is AGONY to sit on and almost as bad on my back. Starting to get better at sitting but the bum takes a long time to heal, or so im told.
  • Posted

Hi Paula, 

One of those confusion instructions ... 

To answer your question, yes, when I sleep on my side feet and knees are together to avoid twisting the upper body .  

I was allowed to sleep on my unoperated side while in hospital and was shown how to us pillow between myknees and to turn with it ...

I found that it is important to also lie on my back to stretch out my legs and hips.

I bought one of those longer body pillows so I can hug and have support under my arms, if you know what I mean - 

yigh!!!  still takes time to find the most comfortable position, but maybe that was always the case - I was just not aware of it then ...

Big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I can't sleep either side either, we are similar in time frames. I use a pillow with knees and feet together. Surgeon said to massage scar and then it should be okay....but it isn't and I am not good at massaging it... So still on my back for now! I hope you can find a way to be more comfortable, and if anything works for you please post.
    • Posted

As far as I can see, massaging that scar, and the area around it, is key to getting on your side.  Since my second Op, I started gently massaging mine with acqueous cream, getting more tough with it now as it softens.

I still cannot sleep for more than an hour on either side, but it is getting easier, and I am doing it much earlier in my recovery period this time around.

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.