After surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had bk surgery 3 weeks ago. I think I am retaining water in my legs. Why would this happen. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards Gerwyn

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

• Posted

Are you passing urine ok?

And are you on strong painkillers that tend to slow your system down.

I'm taking Gabapentin for neurological pain, and have had to drop the dose as they make me constipated, and also make me retain fluid, which ends up in my legs and ankles.

I found that raising my legs higher than my hips helps the kidneys to do their job better.

Like you I have spinal problems and this isn't easy.

What does your dr say?

• Posted

Hi Laura.

I also am on (gav) I sometimes still have to consecrate to pass water. Also I am on mst morphine . I am in hospital as we speak but doctor really didn't seem bothered about it this morning. But now wen I press my legs my fingerprint stays indented. I will ask the night shift staff. I am walking around with a zimmer but not far. So I do a little often. I just feel I am not getting taken seriously so I just wanted some feedback before I bother them again.

King regards

Gerwyn

• Posted

Are you doing enough exercise? Walking as much as you can? If you are lying you'll retain water unless you're up and moving.
    • Posted

Hi Scott.

Yes I am doing little and often. I will try to elevate them now.

• Posted

You can get water retention tablets if you live in England from the dr they are called Furosimeda - they cost something like 1€ 50c for a box. But i think I would get in touch with your dr first.

Thought this interesting http://hubpages.com/health/Why-Do-I-Have-Bladder-Retention-after-General-Anesthesia .....and it made me think of my op - I had water retention and think this link will answer why you have it. In fact if I remember when I woke from the anasthetic I couldn't wait to go to the loo.  But no-one told me.... At the best of times I have water retention and can't get rid of it even with tablets. But think I would go to the dr first and read the article .. thought it quite good

• Posted

The best thing is to elevate your kegs above your heart for now and call your doctor, you could be at risk fora bloodclot.
    • Posted

James is this for anyone who is retaining water. I have tried this but doesn't work....
    • Posted

Sorry Scott.

I had decomposition L4 L5 S1 both sides. Plusses there was a lot of scar tissue from the first decomposition opp L4 L5 S1 on the left side 18 months ago. They also hit the fluid sack and I had brain and spine fluid leaking so I had to be flat on my bk for 5 days.

• Posted

Hi Gerwyn,

I've had three similar ops to you. Both L4/5 and L5/S1 decompressions. One in 07 and one in 2012. I've just, six weeks ago, had all these levels fused via an Anterior operation.

My first was very successful, back to all my sport etc but second wasn't successful which led to the fusion.

I also had the leak and was flat out for for 3 days.

After all three I've never had water retention. But I've walked a lot since day one after them all apart from 2012 when I wasn't allowed for 72 hours to walk but then did so.

Exercise, as you'll know is the key to a successful outcome. Try some swimming and gentle stretching.

Have you been referred to a Physio?

• Posted

I am in rehab hospital now. I have physio twice a day mon- Fri I have still kept up with the program today . I am laying on my bed with my feet elevated. My legs have gone so big I can hardly bend my knee. I will call the nurse now and let you know the outcome.
    • Posted

Hi Scott.

They are going to monitor me through the night. Doctor will have a look in the morning.

• Posted

It's fluid if your skin stays indented when pressed, the morphine will slow your kidney function as well, they might give you some diuretics-- water tablets in the morning, sounds like you need them. Try not to worry too much, I'm seven weeks post surgery,,and having problems if I stay on my feet for too long.
    • Posted

Thanks Laura.

I do hope you improve and not like myself needed to have another opp. As least it's not nerve damage.

• Posted

Oh, I have nerve damage. Can't feel my right foot/ankle/calf and my left thigh. Now can't feel the left hand side of my stomach due to my wound. Nerve pain ain't funny. Well, my kids find it funny when they can stick pins in my foot without me feeling it. 😂😂
    • Posted

I've had several ops Gerwyn, and been left with severe nerve damage, the one I'm recovering from now is not back related, thank goodness!
    • Posted

Oh no so sorry to hear this. I think once they start pulling our bk around it will never end.
    • Posted

It started thirty years ago, they didn't have the knowledge they do now.

But I don't envy you going through it now.

Hope it's been successful for you.

• Posted

Hey gerwyn, I was hurt on the job in April of 94 went through the spring and into the summer in a wheelchair. I had a two lam fusion with instrumentation in September of 94 and, removed in April of 95. Lucky for me that the next time I hurt myself in 96, all I ened up with was foot drop, an afo on my left leg and, a really stylish cane. By 98 I was seriously injured again installing a server (in those days the cabinets were huge) by 09 I started experiencing weakness in both legs in early marh and ened up in a wheelchair by June. I really hope that the rehabilitation hospital can help you, I had to go to an outside place to lean to walk again in 94.
    • Posted

Hi Laura and everyone.

I am on Gab Mst Amytrip oxycontin sertraline. I have nerve damage from op's on L4 l5 3 yrs ago. You lot will be ok, as long as your passing some urine. I ended up losing feeling in my bladder, so did not know when it was full. I had to self catheterise, but just had a supra pubic catheter fitted.

We must all pull together and we will all get through.

Ady x

• Posted

How are you doing now? It's slow and steady but I can see a small improvement every day. It's just this knock back. I have had my legs elevated all evening but it's just getting worse. Don't know how much if any improvement in will see by the morning. Just hope my hart dose not fail through the night. As I have just read that water retention is a single of that.
    • Posted

Hi Andy.

Your right there fella unless you have gone through this you will never understand its not just the physical damage it's inside the head damage that they don't see. I just keep telling myself "it is wat it is and that is it" one day at a time. I have bn telling myself that for 2yrs now tho.

Hope your doing OK.

• Posted

Gerwyn 77540,

Hi hope all is well, did you get to speak to the doctor? Hows the swelling? Any better?

I'm hoping you are doing OK!

Cynthia ( Cindy)

• Posted

Hi Cindy.

I have asked the nurse twice today only to be made to feel stupid. And be told the doctor will be around Tuesday. So I will not ask again. Thanks for asking. ;-)

• Posted

You have to ask again if you are not happy! Don't take no for an answer. Remember they are there to make you comfortable and if you're not seek medical advice, ie a doctor. Don't allow yourself to be uncomfortable because you think you are annoying nurses. Annoy away till you are happy with how you are feeling.
    • Posted

Thanks Scott.

I will now because I am having pains in my toes on my left foot. Really uncomfortable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.