age 5

Posted , 3 users are following.

I got diagnosed with perthes at the age of 5, my mu knew there was something wrong, doctors kept saying it was growing pains, but we pushed, it ended up that I couldn't put my foot to the floor, I couldn't turn over in bed, take my self to the toilet, but now, I'm walking. Yeah I'm in pain everyday but I tale it for granted. I was in a wheelchair for 6 years. The moment I gave my wheelchair up was a day to remember. I suffer in pain every day with arthritis. Knowing I've got to have hip replacements in my early 20's late 40'S and I'm now 22. Day to day hurts but I'm up and walking about, I have a full time job which requires me to be on my feet for 8 hours a day 6 days a week. It hurts but it is part of life. Given the chance I'd wish upon someone else's life. But I'm happy with what I have. Pain or no pain. Life is life.

1 like, 3 replies

Report / Delete

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy,

I agree, it is better to accept the day to day pain than be immobile although if you are in a lot of pain maybe a hip operation would be good? I am 45 now and had it from the age of 11, it was fine, slight limp up to age 38 when I went mad on a treadmill and ran 102 miles in a month then it went downhill. I will need a hip operation soon and I get pain all the time but in a funny way it also makes me more tolerant to pain in other injuries.

Jason

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi amy, i am exacly like you. I am now 30. I was diagnosed when i was about 5. Only had physi and shoe raisers as a kid. The hardest thing fo me and i remeber clarly is going to the doctors one day and them saying there is nothing else they can do - it hurt. I have learned to live life with the disease, we just have to get on with life knowing we are in pain and different from everyone else. Life has been a struggle, through school i go bullied in high school because i was different. I wish for theses people to live our lives and see what the then have to say. Years have gone by, met my husband, who is so understanding about my condition, we now have 2 children.

​I am due to go in for a total hip replacement in 4 wks time, i am so excited. It brings a smile to my face thinking about doing the simple things like sitting down on the floor and crossing my legs, somehting that 'normal' people take for granted.

​I hope everyething works out for you, keep your head up. There are many people out there then you think going through the same life challenges. Poeple on here are happy to listen and talk to you ;-)

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You brought a smile to my face reading this. I say exactly the same. That if people were to live with it then they would understand. Reading the part about crossing your legs is something I long to do! I see people sit like it all the time and think man that looks so comfy. I can't physically sit on the floor straight legged or with my knees bent without having to lean backwards rolleyes I'm so happy that you have built a family and I wish you every luck and a very speedy recovery after your operation smile
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up