Ageing skin after hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 63 and had a successful viginal hysterectomy 18 months ago following a prolapsed womb and bladder. I recovered quickly and was back to running and excercise within 6/8 weeks. I have always been very lucky to have good skin and looked younger than my age before the op.  I am now seeing a rapid degeneration of the qualify of my skin in that it looks very dehydrated and wrinkly despite me drinking a lot more water than I used to and making sure I have a good routine as regards moisturisers etc.  I can only imagine this has got to be hormonal as a result of the hysterectomy which seems hard to believe as I am well past menopause now.  Are there any other older ladies such as myself that have found this? And any suggestions to try and improve things.  I know I should be grateful that my op was successful but I am disappointed with this development.

Thanks Shani

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shani, I had my hysterectomy 17 months ago when I was 61 (I'm also 63 now), I haven't noticed any change in my skin but have noticed my hair is thinner and it has always also been wavy but is now straight as a dye, I had just put this down to getting older and hadn't lnked it to the hysterectomy (also done vaginally).

Phoebe

• Posted

It could be just coincidence that all this occurred after your hysterectomy because what you describe is common in menopausal women. I had a total hysterectomy and bilateral oophorectomy some years ago so needed HRT which I still take and that has helped my skin, hair and joints thankfully and I hope to continue as long as possible. 
  • Posted

Hi Shania,

I had same experience. I had hysterectomy and anterior repair 3 years ago. I was very fit had been a regular at gym, pool and cycling. So was back to normal activities fairly quickly. Although had to give up gym. But like yourself felt I could see visible deterioration of my skin over time. Not sure if a result of op, or due to undergoing menopause. Periods had ended 2 year before op but had hardly any other symptoms until post op when I started terrible hot flushing. (Still have ovaries)!

Having said that still being told I definitely don't look my age I'm almost 56, was told I only look 42 the other day so should not complain.

But definitely can see signs of ageing, wish my pelvic floor doing as well.

My favourite mousturiser is E45, if I forget to use it in the morning I definitely look rougher when I catch myself in mirror, mind you all that hot flushing gives me a rosie glow which helps!

Hope you manage to find a good moisturiser that works for you.

Phyl x☺

• Posted

If women have a hysterectomy without the oophorectomy the ovaries can still produce the female hormones albeit a very small amount and that's even after the menopause. Removing the uterus is telling your body it has no need for the hormones so Mother Nature basically tells your ovaries it has no need for them hence giving the symptoms you describe. I know it sounds strange and I promise I haven't made this up but remember this following several training sessions/conferences I've attended in the past.
  • Posted

Years ago I was sterilised and had terrible period problems for several years after - doctors told me this was not possible but it did happen.  I do think that any gynae procedure can upset our systems and (as matron said) a hysterectomy can affect hormones even post menopause.
    • Posted

You are right moira I have heard a lot of women complain of heavy painful periods after sterilisation when they are admitted for other gynae surgery. There's definitely a link there.
  • Posted

Thanks to everyone for their input.  As always with this forum is just nice to know you're not alone!!

Shani

x

• Posted

I faced hysterectomy at 32. I am suffering from this situation. After this surgery how can i protect my skin? i am really afraid of looking elder. Doctors rejected to give me Harmons replacement therapy. Then how can i manage my skin. Is there any other solution?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.