Agressive protocol for a partially ruptured tendon, treated conservativley.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has any other patients ever followed this protocol for a partially ruptured achilles, with conservative treatment.

0-10/14days - splint/backslab

2-4weeks - Boot, 5 wedges, PWB

4-8weeks - Boot, 1 wedge out per week, FWB

I'm particulary worried about the PWB and FWB, mentally I still think it's too soon and will agrevate my tendon. Paranoid about seeing the orthopaedic surgeon in 6 weeks and he tells me it hasn't healed propely.

I've tried PWB slight, but get severe pain in that area

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had a full rupture I'd surgery, your treatment re wedges sounds a little like mine.

I'd surgery - back slab cast for 2 weeks

Full cast 2-4 weeks

Boot 3wedges 4-6 weeks

Back at 6 weeks to take a wedge out and what I have heard one every week after that to bring me to week 8 to be fwb. At the moment I'm not allowed to bare any weight yet

• Posted

A bit similar, as you currently in a cast or a boot? 
  • Posted

Currently in a boot with 3/wedges. It's a terrible injury I did hire a knee scooter so more mobile. Leg is a little sore I think over did it being on the scooter

• Posted

I think you know your own body and what your limits are. If you are not ready don't push it. Some days I feel good and others I don't so I know when to wear th boot more and when not too.

This is my second time as done other leg 5 years ago so I think I am more aware this time so that makes it easier.

Raise any concerns with doctor or physio as everybody is different and what works for one might not for the other.

Good luck

• Posted

I was in a boot from day one. Started with 3 wedges. I complained so they said 2 would be enuf. Im usinf crutches. Its been almost 3 weeks. So far I like idea of self healing. The doctor seems to agree. Ill see him again tommorrow.My injury was aug 10. Im on daily naxoprin.....not much pain.....staying off of it as much as I can..
    • Posted

Normally it's 5 wedges to begin with, but we're at the same stage I did mine in the 14th. Currently in a moon boot with 5 wedges, just starting some pwb. I'll probably start fwb in 10 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.