Air Travel

Posted , 5 users are following.

Any tips in air travel with long flights for severe dry eyes ?? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrea,

I recently took a vacation and was concerned about my eyes becoming even more dry on the flight. The day before my trip I stepped up my over the counter moisterizing drops to every hour (as much as I would remember to do so) also my nasal spray (non RX).  I had both with me in my bag under the seat in front of me within reach and continued to use them through out the flight. I also took a moist wash towel in an zip-lock bag to put over my eyes if I got desperate but I didn't have to use it. Make sure when you are seated to reach up and close or redirect the air over your seat so it is not blowing on your face and eyes. I was surprised that the flight wasn't as bad as I had anticipated on my eyes and sinuses! Remember to keep up the drops if you are laying over or changing planes don't be shy about using them it is worth it. Have a good flight,

Sally

• Posted

Thank you Sally  yes I read on the dry eye zone  to drink up (water), lube up (drops) and cover up (moisture chambers).  I plan on not drinking any caffiene the week before as well so as not to get too dehydrated.  I am also going to take my Tranquil eyes if they get sore, I will just put on my mask.  I will definite take lots of PF drops and gels.  How long was your flight ??
  • Posted

Hi yes Andrea take some VitApos in a tube and ask the fligh attendant to supply you with hot warm facecloths the hydrate you eyes. You may not be allowed to take liquids on board. I think if your eyes a very dry it's worth ringing your airline first, and ask your GP to provide written confirmation of any prescription drugs you may be taking. If your going to USA Or NZ etc you will find lots of products available but if not you do need to take all medications  with you! I hope this helps. If you live in the UK have you joined the BSSA? There next conference is in Swindon in October. 
  • Posted

Hi Andrea, I am new to this forum. I know you were asking about your dry eyes and air travel for long flights, but I'm sure you know about periodically getting out of your seat to stretch an walk a bit so you get circulation in your legs. Your question just brought how important that is to mind.

Have a safe flight and have a SPECIAL CHRISTMAS!

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS!

kristyk

• Posted

Hi Andrea, 'Sally83545' advice is excellent. I can't better that, other than to wish you 'happy flying'!xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.