Alcohol and band

Posted , 4 users are following.

Are you allowed to drink alcohol further down the line with the band. Just a query if I go out a night with friends... which isn't too often

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola

Not recommended mainly due to the number of calories involved I think.

I am not a regular drinker either but since being banded in May I have been to a couple of weddings and a few nights out when I have drunk the same as I did before the band. I did not feel drunk more quickly as some research suggests and there was no ill affect with my band in the days after drinking.

I stick to vodka lime and soda when I drink.

• Posted

yes you can drink alcohol as long as it is not fizzy - you cannot drink fizzy drinks whether they are alcoholic or non alcoholic and quantity could also be a problem if you wanted to drink say a pint of beer due to the capacity - however shorts, still wine is fine

• Posted

Bandid

What is your experience of fizzy drinks, non alcoholic and alcoholic?

My surgeon does not recommend drinking fizzy drinks but said it would have no ill effect if one did drink them?

• Posted

semi sparkling is not too bad though it can result in heartbur/acid reflux later especially if drunk late at night and then it revisits during the night when in bed lying down - however if the drink is very fizzy it can be almost like a fountain depending on what level your restriction is at - in fact a fizzy drink can be used to dislodge something that gets stuck but only as a last resort cos it can be like a fountain - the fizz in the drink cannot get down through the band so the only way is up - and it can come down your nose as well as your throat - not what you would want if you were in a public place but a handy tip if you are at home, something is stuck and you are desparate to shift it - just make sure you are stood over a sink or toilet - i have to say that i disagree with your surgeon regarding no ill effects from drinking fizzy - however it is possible to knock the fizz out of a drink by stirring and also ice cubes would flatten a fizzy drink to a certain extent - good luck if you give it a try - but  do it at home first
  • Posted

PS as stated above it is 'empty' callories so if you do drink callorific drinks then you will slow down your wgt loss however some non alcoholic drinks can be callorific too - i always drank diet coke and cannot do that now - i drink J20 instead which is higher than my pre op drink - however unlike the poster above i do not feel as if i am getting drunk quicker than i did pre band - i am not a big drinker but having the band has not made any diff in that respect - not sure how the above poster copes with soda as that is fizzy - i was always told that fizzy is a bit NO NO

• Posted

Hi Nicola

I had a sleeve not a band so not sure about the drink sorry. I know that I can't drink fizzy anymore!

Sally

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.