Alcohol withdrawal

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 39 and started drinking wine a year ago. First, just a few times a month, then a couple times a week. Then switched to beer, and have been drinking between 25-50 ounces a day for the past 3 months. I want to stop cold turkey but don't know if its a good idea. I've read that stopping this way can be dangerous. Do I need to taper off or can I just stop?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have been trying to taper off for a few days now . Personally i think it depends on your situation. Im on my own so dont feel compfortable going cold turkey and i still have to try and function. In all honesty i think medical advice before you start is the best idea. Im going to see my GP today because even with tspering im getting bad withdrawl.. and i also don't think cold turkey is safe unless you are under medical supervision.

Im new here so that is just how im feeling and what ive heard.

Good luck i hope you get through x

• Posted

Hi Misssy.

She didnt say much she just said well done. So i presummed i was doing ok

• Posted

Well, did she give you any good drugs? Benzs? To get over some of your withdrawal symptoms.

Yea, saying "well done" ..these Drs crack me up they do little and they do less than they ever did and probably get paid MORE.

• Posted

Hi Missy.

No, ive had no drugs etc. Although i did prescribe myself a paracetamol or 2!! 😉

• Posted

I am going to try acorn tincture and something else called Angelica. Has anyone heard of this being used to help withdrawal and alcohol cravings?
    • Posted

That is all I got from my Doc, a "well done" and that is after I prompted her into it.

Does not help really but I am sticking at it.

G.

• Posted

you had one good reply and she is right...be careful..seek medical advice..are you in Canada or the US? Robin
  • Posted

I'm not sure 25-50 ounces is that much for a week.

But, if it is bothering YOU than it is a problem.

I honestly don't think you would have problems stopping cold turkey but I am NOT a Dr. 

I don't know if you want to stop completely (never drink alcohol again) OR drink responsibly when you DO drink.

For stopping completely..if you don't feel comfortable I would ask my Dr. for some medication to ease the anxiety during your withdrawal.

For controlling your consumption many that have posted here use the Sinclair method and you can scroll thru the older posts and see there has been much discussion on the Sinclair method - to see if this is the way you want to go.

• Posted

Hi  Mika why not for safety sake reduce your intake to 25 per day for a month or so and see how you feel. That way there would be no drugs involved.

And well done for wanting to come off. Before you end up wanting more.

• Posted

I've read lots of posts about the dangers of quitting alcohol suddenly and completely and the various medications available etc. Everybody is different of course, but I managed to stop drinking very heavily - up to more than half a litre of spirits in an afternoon - and have not touched any alcohol of any sort for nearly ten years. So it's hard for me to understand the dire warnings of quitting suddenly and needing drugs and counselling etc. Maybe I'm just lucky, but after 40 years of excess, I had no problems. Many positives, including getting together with wife after 13 years of separation, better health both physically and mentally and a healthier bank balance! I'm not trying to be smart or superior, just slightly confused about the problems others are having about stopping. I have no wish to offend anyone either. 

• Posted

great reply John. We are the same since I stopped 4 yrs ago and no medication but less then 0.7L spirit each day...not looking back and happy. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.