Aldronic acid and alopecia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just started AA and see that a common side effect is alopecia. I was wondering how many of you taking AA have had this problem. Thank you

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I started AA only 8 weeks ago and have found a reluctance in the medical community to advise on the side-effects of the drug.  I hadn't heard of the alopecia side-effect and will now try and get more information regarding this.  Another omission which I discovered from this forum is that it is necessary to take vitamin K2 to aid the calcium deposition on the bones and to keep the arteries clear of surplus calcium.  Not very impressed with the medical profession generally.
  • Posted

Hello Panda

I refused to take AA after I did a bit of research myself and asked around among people of about my age (69). I broke my kneecap, had the Dexa scan and it took me a while to get my results.  There was a reluctance to give them to me and an insistence that I should take AA. The doctor did say a few general things about side effects. I had not heard about it causing alopecia. One reason I refused to take it is that I wanted to try to strengthen my bones with good food and exercise and I understande that AA makes bones denser but not stronger and inhibits bone regeneration. I found that lots of people I knew take it without question because it has been prescribed for them. Some had problems with sore or dry throats and one had necrosis of the jaw, which is terrible. If you might need dental treatment that involves extraction, I would be very wary indeed. I had a chat to a bone doctor at the hospital who agreed that it would be a good idea not to take AA if I was worried but that I could go to see her in a year's time and she would ask for another scan to see whether there was any change for the better. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for your answers. Alopecia comes under the common side effects.
  • Posted

I really don't like this stuff, I'm not sure it's the least bit helpful, and the side effects can be horrible. Surely it's better to make an effort to change to a healthy diet and get some excercise
    • Posted

I already excercise and eat properly. I was just curious
    • Posted

I largely agree with what you say but at the same time I try to cover all aspects of treatment whilst keeping a very close eye on what's happening to my body generally.  I don't trust any of the professionals and find that an average view of replies to this website gives a much clearer picture, admittedly empirical,  of what to expect.  I can always stop the AA if there are any nasties appear, and at the same time, the diet, vitamins, calcium and exercise continue!
    • Posted

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you didn't, more of a general comment!

i do think that AA is not a good drug

• Posted

Hello again Panda

I see that there is already a thread in this forum that talks about AA and alopecia. It is under the title: Side effects I have noticed with Alendronic acid and very distressed about. You should be able to find it and read the comments. I have to repeat that I am so very sceptical about the safety of AA from reading about the disgraceful money-making practices of Merck and their pushing of Fosamax, linked to the rise in numbers of Dexa scan machines - no coincidence there then! After Fosamax and other named drugs, we are now told to take the cheap alternative AA. It stays in your bones for 10 years, even after you stop taking it. I'd rather not start. And I certainly wouldn't like to lose my hair. It is about the only thing people compliment me on these days!

• Posted

Thank you. I will look at that forum.
  • Posted

I was given this after I had a fall and broke my shoulder last year.  Due to various hiccups I did not actually get the pills until early Jan.  I had flu all December and was very happy it had cleared up just as I started AA.  I had not checked side effects and stupidly started taking AA.  Almost immedately I was ill again, sore throat and a bad cough, chest pain.  I just thought as I am still recovering from my broken shoulder, that my immune system was struggling.  After a few weeks I decided to check side effects of AA.  Wow, I could not believe it, needless to say I stopped immediately.  I will always read the leaflet in future.  Any advice on natural remedies for improving bone health would be appreciated.
    • Posted

I'm seriously thinking of seeing my doctor again
    • Posted

I have lost faith in Dr's, I was given these without any advice.  When I researched AA I realised I should not have been given AA, they appear to dish pills out without any checking. 
    • Posted

That is shocking. Which country do you come from? What are they playing at? Did you ask the doctor about side effects when AA was prescribed. That was my first question. He talked about possible side effects with the throat and digestion and lightly said that some people had jaw problems but that was rare. He said that the benefits outweighed the side effects but I was not so sure so started reading and was horrified. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.