Alendronic Acid and side effects - useful reading

Posted , 70 users are following.

Thought it may be of help to get matters in perspective. Do look at the site at **** on bonehealth and osteoporosis. Wish I had read more before I started taking the drug. I have now stopped it, convinced that my joint and tendon problems, racing heart and general and increasing awful feelings of fatigue and illness are linked to the start of taking alendronic acid. I understand now why my GP was a bit reluctant to prescribe it in the first place but I trusted my hospital consultant and believed he would be looking after me for the good. Maybe this trust was a bit misplaced?

[color=green:2d0a158354][size=9:2d0a158354][b:2d0a158354][i:2d0a158354](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, a postal address and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.) [/i:2d0a158354][/b:2d0a158354][/size:2d0a158354][/color:2d0a158354]

3 likes, 135 replies

135 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Yvonne,

I have seen a locum doctor.

She said to keep taking the A Acid as my symptoms would reduce after a while and it was more likely my aching bones were caused by the Statins I take for cholesterol.

I asked what the A Acid was for, deliberately not saying I had been looking on this forum and she said, with a smile, "wait for this" before reading from her scruffy looking little fat book. As I understand, it is supposed to slow down the rate at which bone thickens so I asked her "does that mean if I break a bone it will take longer to mend? the doctor did not reply to this. She said I should have blood tests done. I thought, for what? but had lost the will to ask, by the time we were finished!

I will see my own doctor later today for blood test results and to tell him that unless he can convince me otherwise I will not be taking any more A Acid tablets.

Good luck to you for thursday!

• Posted

................p.s. I have a dentist check up this month and will be asking his opinion / advise about taking Alendronic cid - or not taking it.
  • Posted

Seen my own GP this evening.

A. Acid slows down the rate of THINNING not THICKENING - mistake in my previous post.

He has suggested I try another tablet instead of A. Acid. My 'bloods' were all ok. I will give the new tablets a try for a month and see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Posted

how did you get on with your new medication please? Did it help.

? Hello I have just been diagnosed with Osteoporosis at the age of 55. I think it may be related to early menopause. I was diagnosed after having  a broken hip beg of March and fractured femur in July. I had a DEXA scan which resulted in my diagnosis. I have been prescribed Alendronic Acid (2wks ago). Since then I have had aching bones which I can only describe as a sort of vibration/shaking and an awful anxiety feeling in my stomache. I feel fatigued, and generally lethargic. Is this how you were on this medication? 

• Posted

Hello all, after finding this forum really helpful I was able to make an educated decision to stop taking Alendronic Acid. I have osteoporosis of my major joints - hips, knees, elbows, and it is now at the base of my spine and at the top. I have had a very severe pain in the top of my arm, the muscle felt as though it was being twisted by a knife, the pain was far worse than my other.

I am taking Tramodol and Calcichew D3 x2 each day, I was offered Omeprazole but I don't take them as I have no stomach complaints yet. I am still tired but the pains in my arm has subsided which I am pleased about.

• Posted

Evening to all here. I'm an active slim 60 yr old female. Lots of walking, gardening etc. Eat healthily, yet enjoy the occasional naughty pieces of chocolate and real (dairy) ice cream. Partial thyroidectomy 20 years ago, so take 50mcg thyroxine daily.

Reasonable cholesterol levels (yearly check as with thyroid)) usual patter with the doc-no I'm not going on statins as the LDL'S and HDL's ratio is good irrespective of the number and I have a good diet:-) Sorry Doc; I have control over my life.

DEXA scan a couple of years ago was slightly alarming. Plopped on calcium tablets with D3, yet the percentage of both was so low, as to be nearly ineffective; also interactive with the thryoxine:-)

Internet search showed one should also take a higher percentage of magnesium too. Doc unaware of this. Also had a print out of the "benefits" of taking the osteoporosis drugs. I chose to refuse all of them, as most have previously used as an industrial cleaner:-)

Last week, I was co-erced into trying the alendronic acid tablets (generic form of fosamax). OK Doc, your mum takes them and she seems to be OK--so I'll give them a whizz short term. Well--why does one only use them for 5 years, like the breast cancer drug Tamoxafen? Is this another wheeze for the pharma companies to do their research on us, the unsuspecting Joe Public? My Doc "couldn't possibly comment". I also requested calcium citrate instead of carbonate tablets--well what a nonsense to get them. Am happy to buy my own D3 tablets from the well known High Street Company.

So with a totally open mind I took one tablet 8 days ago. To be honest when it was stated "drink with at least 8oz of water, (not mineral), stand/sit upright for at least 30 minutes afterwards, eat nothing and drink nothing else my alarm bells started ringing, yet was happy to give the benefit of the doubt! 8 hrs later, the side effects were truly horrendous. I shall be relaying these to the Pharma company--yet in all honesty, I feel they couldn't really care as they're making mega millions from those prescribing this "wonder drug".

I tried to find information on the net as to how long after just one tablet one could expect all these horrible side effects to carry on. Surprise---found nothing.

All I know, through doing intensive internet research is: these tablets do not increase bone density. They DO increase the fracture rate through brittle bones (different to low bone density). Perhaps I'm just so aware (and sceptical) of all these "great" pharma companies "reseach". Perhaps, buyer be(a)ware could be the order of the day eh?! Would be happy to let you know of the horrendous side effects of just taking one tablet. Barbs

• Posted

Hi barbs2607, I see you had problems after just 1 tablet.please help, my husband ( a previously very fit, active, healthy 59yr old) took just 1 dose of 70mg alendronic acid and 15hrs later suddenly developed such severe back muscle pain and spasms that he collapsed screaming and crying in pain. Paramedic said he had seen 1 case of same reaction in 5 years.Completely incapacitated and bed bound for 3 days on tramadol and diazepam before able to begin mobilising with crutches.  Now day 6 feels so unwell he is in despair and feels that his life has been ruined by this drug! I have since found so many terrifying stories about the effects of this drug, how can the GP say it's unuusual/rare whilst agreeing that there can be no other cause for my husbands conditon

Is there anything he can do to remove this poison and it's effects from his system? 

Did you get over the effects? how long did it take?

Desperate

• Posted

Hi Barbs2607

Well after reading your story, it iwas very similar to my own experience. I took one tablet last Sunday. The aftermath being, I have never felt so ill and strange with dreadful nausea and pains everywhere. Needless to say I will not be taking any more. My GP who prescribed them played down the side effects. After reading what they can be, I was amazed I was prescribed them in the first place. I have acid reflux, a hiatus hernia and gastritis in my stomach. This was recently highlighted by a recent gastrostopy. When I went back to the doctors, I told him I wasnt taking them, he didnt try to persuade me otherwise. I have decided to see a homeopathic doctor for the treatment of my osteoporosis. I still feel nauseous, I am wondering how long it will be before I feel myself again. How long did it take you to get the drug out of your system. I feel very annoyed.

• Posted

Evening Sarah,

Having only taken one of the little beggars, then doing an in depth internet research must admit to going into panic mode! I then went into overdrive with fluids. Water/rooibos/green tea. After a couple of days I was back to normal with the usual gardening/walking. Thankfully I only have a thyroid problem (30 years since diagnosis with a partial thyroidectomy), yet am ever aware of the nonsense with calcium being leeched because of this.

So the Doc prescribes D3 and calcium carbonate (blackboard chalk I think would be better for blackboards!). No sorry, I want Calcium citrate.

Not possible. NICE, who evidently are not.

I also wanted magnesium (this sloughs the dead cells away); nope NICE do not recommend. My Polish pharmarcist tells me their government makes it mandatory in their diet! So for the last few years I have bought it

from my local independant health store.

Sorry to hear of your problems Sarah. I am ever thankful for the internet to assist us in making an informed choice on how to deal with various health issues.

kind regards, Barbs

• Posted

I would be SO interested in what your homeopathic doctor thinks. Presently I'm trying the alkhaline diet way.

B x

• Posted

Hello Barb

I realise this reply is a bit out of date, but I did wonder what your symptoms were. After taking one dose one of my legs collapsed with spasms like electric shocks running through it. Today, after 4 doses, my feet are numb. Did you have anything similar? Denise

• Posted

Evening Denise,

No symptoms as I chose not to take the alendronic acid tablets prescribed by my G.P. here in the U.K. Still taking the magnesium and D3. I'm getting on with life, being positive, eating well (as normal) a daily glass of red wine and plenty of energy. Some days feeling "creaky", guess it's the wretched weather here! I'm aware that osteoporosis is not a disease but just a condition.

Kind regards, Barbs

• Posted

Dear Barbs

So great to hear this. I will never take one of these evil pills again but do as you are doing and get on with my life. Nor am I ever going to read another forum and frighten myself half to death! Yesterday was the worst day ever but I have the whole family coming today for Christmas, so I'm looking forwards and up, osteoporosis nothwithstanding. Good luck to you Barbs. I'm in England too. Happy Christmas! Denise.

• Posted

Morning Denise,

Onwards and upwards eh! Forums do have their place in assisting us to make informed choices to check elsewhere on a particular problem that "niggles" us! At the end of the day, we are guided by how we ourselves feel.

Have a lovely Christmas with your family and a Happy Healthy 2017.

regards, Barbs

• Posted

Hi barbs2607, 

Like you, at sixty I was slim, fit and walked my dogs several miles every day. I'm now 68, but was probably around 58 when I was diagnosed with osteopaenia, which several years later became osteoporosis. I was prescribed CalciD and alendronic acid from the beginning but after reading a lot on the subject, decided NEVER to take it! I have Crohn's Disease as well, and think I have quite enough inflammatory bowel problems without exacerbating the problem. My dentist also advised me not to take it! Strangely , I've had a couple of really bad falls but nothing has broken! At that time I was getting dreadful backaches and when I finally persuaded my doctor to refer me to a rheumatologist it transpired I had degenerative disc disorder. After another couple of years I was told they wouldn't operate on my back as my hips were both in a bad state and needed replacing. Cue another long wait until last June I had the first hip replaced, having been told they'd do the second after six months. I saw the consultant in October and was told the hip was so bad it had to be done very soon. Still waiting despite several enquiries because the hospitals are taking emergencies only! 

After the hip replacement the hospital told my doctor to put me on alendronic acid, but I told him my objections and he conceded that if my osteoporosis score were slightly worse, he'd insist, but as I felt as I did, I could leave it. Another doctor from the practice is now insisting I take it, which I'm really unhappy about. Has it now come to the point when we HAVE to do as we're told? 

So, couple of questions if anyone knows, a) is there any way anyone could tell whether or not one WAS taking it? b) is there any otther treatment besides calcium, magnesium, etc, for osteoporosis? This alendronic acid seems to be quite an old treatment, surely new things must be coming on the market! c) as ammunition when you mentioned that these tablets contain the same compounds as 'industrial cleaners', what are they?

d) does ANYONE have anything GOOD to say about these tabs, because if they do, I can't find it!

• Posted

There are newer treatments, at least some of which are even more toxic to the body than AA.  I was diagnosed with osteopenia and told, because I take prednisone for polymyalgia, that I should take AA.  I refused, and started a strict regimen of daily walking, learning tai chi and Nordic walking, using a weighted walking vest, as well as carrying on with exercises for my back, and some yoga I'd done for many years.  I also made sure I was getting enough of the right nutrition, including adding a Vitamin K2 supplement (not K1 which we get from our leafy greens).  K2 makes sure calcium goes into the bones where it belongs.  A subsequent DXA scan a year later showed that my t-score improved from -2 to -1.6 and they no longer recomment medication!  This in spite of the fact that for over half that year my pred dose was still at a level high enough to have an effect on the bones.  So yes you can manage without the medication and my personal feeling is even people who opt for the meds should also do everything they can to strengthen their bones naturally.  AA and its ilk do not strengthen the bones.  They may make them more "dense" but they can also become quite brittle as new bone is laid over an old matrix.  I'd steer clear of anything which interfered with normal bone remodelling.

Of course you can refuse any medication the doctors try to push on you.  It's your body, you are an adult and free to choose what to do.  If you google combination of micronutrients for bone you will find a study which showed that micronutrients can contribute to improving bone health.  

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. Yes, that is exactly what I and my dentist are worried abour, the fact that AA effectively stops new bone being laid down. I believe I already have some K1 so will look into K2. I'm on azathioprine at the moment and have been for around four years, an immune suppressant which I also do not like taking as that exacerbates osteoporosis. Problem is, I can't really exercise while waiting for the second hip replacement, however I do find it odd that I did have a couple of bad falls, (tripping over big dogs), and nothing broke. I once read somewhere there are actually several different types of primary osteoporosis. Lord, how did our gt gt grandparents manage without all these preventative measures? Again, thank you!

• Posted

You may find there are things you can do to stress your muscles, which will help your bones, while you wait for the hip replacement.  Apparently strengthening the muscles has a small effect on bone health as stron muscles pull harder on the bones, or something like that.... There is someone posting on here who does some kind of pool exercises which, unlike swimming, help strengthen bones.

Re the teeth - my teeth became super sensitive whem I was on my highest dose of prednisone (never more than 15 mg) and I also felt like my teeth were moving.  I asked about this but was told it was just something which happened with age.  frown  Then as my dose reduced and I carried on with my bone-building regimen I found my teeth becoming less sensitive - still using same kind of toothpaste - and I don't feel like they are getting more crooked anymore.  cool

• Posted

Excellent. I'll try to find the post about pool exercise. Very helpful, thanks! 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.