All the symptoms of a UTI/STI but nothing wrong

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - For around 5 or 6 months now I have had on/off pain when urinating, needing the toiler a LOT, pain in lower abdomen and in my testicles. I am in a relationship and had been long before these problems started so I assumed it was not an STI. I went to the GP and got checked for a UTI which came back normal - I was prescribed Trimethoprim for a week.

I went for an STI check around 2 weeks after the doctors appointment to see if there was something going on there (symptoms had not been relieved). The tests came back clear as well but the symptoms persisted!

I eventually went back to the GP and had a thorough examination - a renal and testicular scan and a course of antibiotics again. All came back normal! 

I thought maybe the Trimethoprim may have killed an STI before my STI check however my gf has since had an STI check and it came back clear!

Although it is a relief that I know my gf hasn't picked up an STI off someone else, it is awfully frustrating and tiring having these issues with no solution. Has anyone got any idea what this could be?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just thought this might help:

Male, 26, normally fit and well.

• Posted

Hello.

I don't know if this will help a whole lot, but I used to get UTIs all the time, I had 7 in 8 months, every week id get one, go to my GP get antibiotics, it'd be ok for 2/3 weeks then, again I'd get another one. However, every single time I went to the doctors, my tests for UTI always came back negative, meaning I had such a tiny amount of bacteria causing the infection, the test didn't show it. I didn't understand it so had him expain it all to me. It's just I do have a UTI is just so small is size (bacteria) that it just doesn't show up, but they assured me it was a UTI. I finally found out what was causing mine, it was the birth control I was on as the UTIs started happening when I started taking the pill, and as soon as I stopped taking it, I was UTI free! However, even now, (my last UTI was in February) I still get pains when I urinate, not all the time, but some times, I still have to go a lot more than I used to. I can't hold my urine anymore, like literally I used to be able to hold going to the toilet for an hour or two, now it's 5 minutes if that. & I always have to go twice now if that makes any sense, I'll go, go away and wash my hands then feel the horrible urge to go again and have to go again. It's basically where the UTI has weakened my bladder & stuff. It's horrible.

But it's a lot better than what it used to be I used to be in constant pain even after the UTI had gone, I'd hate going to the toilet & I wouldn't go out, just sit in bed ha!

So I know the feeling of being 'cured' of the UTI but still having the pain and some symptoms. They get easier and not as bad & constant but for me they're just something I have to live with and only being 19 it sucks massively ha!

Hope your symptoms go & wish you all the best! smile

• Posted

Hi Ryan, did they scan your bladder too as that might be another option worth asking about. It may be that there is some inflammation going on in there still which is causing the pain. Try drinking plenty of water and take paracetamol if you can as I was told that may ease things.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi ryan , does your dr have any theories as to what the cause is, does he discuss it with you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.