Allergic to antihistamines????? ANY INFO MUCH APPRECIATED

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi guys,

Firstly, oh my god. I dont think you realise how happy i am at finding this site. I genuinly thought i was one of a few people who suffered this horrendous \"thing\". That is how i refer to it now. A \"thing\".

I am 20 years old and am having an awful time with urticaria. All started in Feb so 5 months ago now. Firstly was told by GP that it will go in 6 weeks so felt very optimistic. 6 weeks came and went but still felt it might go...after 3 months realised this may with me a bit longer than first anticipated.

Saw 5 more GP's all who gave me different anti-histimines-none that worked, in fact, some made it worse!! Constantly asked to be referred to Dermatologist with no avail. Gp's said it was a last resort. They really didnt seem to care and to be honest were plain awful.

It finally took a scary trip to A&E when rash became to much to bare and started affecting my breathing for them to actually refer me. I was in A&E for 11 hours on a drip filled with renitidine and steroids. It did knock me for 6 because i was really quite worried by this point.

So finally had my first Dermatologist appointment 2 weeks ago where they explained my \"condition\" and prescribed me on a course of 3 tablets a day for 28 days. on the first day of taking these antihistimines i had terrible stomach ache and felt sick and tired, and whats worse the rash was extremly bad. so called them up and they told me to stop taking the tablets. They got me back in and said that i am now to do nothing for 6 weeks. dont take any antihistimines they have said and go back in 6 weeks.

Kind of feel like im right back at step one. I genuinly belive that when i take antihistimines it makes the rash worse...has anyone else thought this?

I dont know whether to try the tablets again and give them a chance, maybe if id have carried on for a few weeks it may have eventually gone, but surely im not expected to go out with that thing all over my face and body and live with that for god knows how long.

Im only 20 and i have to go out in the sun in long sleeves because im so paranoid. It gets me down so much and im lucky to have friends that support me but honestly i cant go on like this anymore. I feel for you all so so much and my thoughts are with all of you as we battle through this stupid illness that still nobody seems to care about.

Please let me know if anyone else has reacted badly to any antihistimine. then maybe i can have some piece of mind. One thing that made me laugh was the antihistimine i was prescribed said on the leaflet \"may cause urticaria\"!! fantastic hey!!

Well hope this sheds some light on anyone else experiencing same sort of thing.

Laura

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

sorriiii guys another quick question. Getting a bit worried about the whole \"angiodema\" thing...at the moment my urticaria is bad but touch wood never had any swelling of lips, tounge, eyes etc. do you think i will develop this with the urticaria or would it have happened by now? oh god that would just be the next fab thing to happen!! :S thankyouu xx
    • Posted

Dont be so sure im afraid, I have been suffering for 2 years now and had my first outbreak on my eyes only yesterday, so just be very very careful hun x
  • Posted

Laura,

I'm having the same problems like 'rashes' and 'angio-oedema' or swelling badly but when I take antihistamines+steroids, touch wood I don't get any kind of allergies in fact it gives me relief. I have sympathy with you as I can understand the pain with this problem. Even I'm looking for some good cure as I read that in the net that it can go for more than 3 years. my problem started last year October sometime and the worst part of my problem is I get swelling on my lips, throat and tongue very frequently if I don't take medicine regularly.

keep in touch

TC.

vic

• Posted

So glad I found someone else that say some of the anti-histamine make you worse!!!

I have had hives ever since i took ferrous sulphate (iron tablet) I stop taking them but the rash never went away I went on steroids had the vist to the hospital emergency who gave a high dose of prition and steroids, but it never went.

I visted a allergist who told me what foods not to eat, I tried that and they did go away but the swollen parts never did i had egg shapes filled with fluid on my ankles and sometimes on my wrists it is so so painful I sometimes couldnt walk as when i did shooting pain went up my legs.

i was reffered to a dematologist her said to me to try clarityn and i could take a max dose of up to 4 a day. I took one and in half an hour my legs were covered in the hives again , massive red painful swollen ankles twice there normal size. I cant even walk and the hives are so hot and very painful to touch.

I spoke to my doctor who has now put me back on steroids and im not to take clarityn. so now what!!!

I really feel like cutting my legs off as i have had enough. like i expect you have and anyone with this condition!!!

• Posted

Hi Kaladani,

The large red painful lumps on your legs are probably what's called urticarial vasculitis. It is sometimes considered an autoimmune disorder, but can also be caused by medications. 

I had this a year ago and found out it was from the antihistamines I was taking. It's a much longer story, but this is what it was in the end. Also, getting antihistamines out of your system takes much longer than the doctors say. So, if you're trying to stop taking them you'll need to be tough, as it is kind of a vicious cycle. I had to take Zantac, an acid reducer, to wean myself off of the antihistamines. Our bodies release histamines in two ways and one is through our stomachs.  Why Zantac helps, I have no idea, but it does. My advice is to get on prednisone for a short time and take the Zantac at the same time then keep taking the Zantac for a few weeks. 

Buffy

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Have you figured out your antihistamine problem yet?

If not, I have some information that may help you.

A year ago I went through what sounds exactly like what you're going through. In the end it was in fact the antihistamines.  I'm finally healthy now, but can never take antihistamines again.  Please let me know how it's going for you. Maybe I can help if it's still needed. 

Buffy

• Posted

Hi Buffy,

I am going through the exact same problem as Laura and would appreciate any advice...

Jane x

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Have you figured out your antihistamine problem yet?

If not, I have some information that may help you.

A year ago I went through what sounds exactly like what you're going through. In the end it was in fact the antihistamines.  I'm finally healthy now, but can never take antihistamines again.  Please let me know how it's going for you. Maybe I can help if it's still needed. 

Buffy

• Posted

Also, I had it all, from small hives to swollen tongue, lips, face, hands and feet to full on large welts all over my legs. My allergist just kept giving me new and different antihistamine cocktails and I just kept getting worse. 
  • Posted

Hi Laura,

Sorry to hear about your problems.  You don't say what antihistamines you were taking?  Perhaps if you changed them and tried another brand?  I had the same problem with really bad fatigue and had to change the tablets.  I'm now taking Loritidine during the day and Periton before I go to bed (my skin consultant advised me to do this).  Even though I'm taking the tablets I can still get flare ups, especially in hot weather.  I find if I sweat excessively it will set me off again and no matter how many tablets I take, or creams I use, it will only go when it's ready!  I suffer with the rash on my face and neck so I'm really embarrassed and upset about it.  Feel like walking round with a bag over my head!

My consultant doesn't seem to know what causes these flare ups but in my case the sweating doesn't help and due to my age and hormones I doubt my sweating will get any better!

Have a go at changing the antihistamines so you find one suitable for you.  Everybody is different and what suits one person won't suit the other.

Good luck,

Elaine.

• Posted

hi guys,

I got histamine intolerance and since last week I take Daosin!

It works perfect.. I jsut have to take a pill right before I want to eat and thats it...

No more swollen tongue and lips! I'm lovin' it!

I ordered it online!

Hope I could help s.o.!

best wishes

• Posted

I lived on anti histime drugs for the First Half of my life, when I found Pycnogenol and or Grape Seed Ex back in 1995, I have NOT bought a anti histime drug in 19 yrs...I started with these antioxidants at age 57 and I'm now 76......

Who would take a supplement 19 yrs if it didn't HELP them and keep them healthier?

Grape Seed Ex and Pycnogenol reduce histime in our bodies...

Do your homework and work to get healther with either of these powerful antioxidants.

• Posted

Please try Xolair shots, I had horribly hives for months and months that wouldn't go away with diet or anything. It is a fairly new medicine, but I saw results right away. I have gotten the shot 4 times now, (4 months) and I haven't had a hive in weeks!
    • Posted

Hi Jill,

I think this is what I'm looking into next.. I've suffered from Urticaria for around 17 years now and antihistamine make me so much worse. I probably some form of hives everyday all be it a few red itchy dots to full blown hives. I always get them in my neck and face, so embarrassing as well as everywhere else...

I'm recently going through a bad flare up which has sent me back to the doctor again and she mentioned these injections..

My triggers are stress, heat, alcohol, pressure like waistbands and bra straps and sometimes nothing and no reason for coming up....

I'm desperate to try this medication xxxxx

Jane

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Myself and a friend laughed the other day at the suggestion that I was allergic to Anti-Histamines...it sounds so silly to be allergic to the thing trying to stop your body from being allergic to itself.

I've been talking Fexofenadine since I was 22 for allergies/rhinitis/asthma etc and by chance someone asked whether it was infact the antihistamine doing the damage, following a recent severe reaction.

Personally it seemed odd that I'd just started a new medication so surely that would be the culprit? (someone also mentioned maybe my meds don't react well together?)

I just know that none of the antihistamines settle the outbreaks at all in any quantity at the moment, even the steriods I've just finished only surpressed it (you could still see it under the surface of my skin) so I'm not entirley sure why I'm taking something I'm not sure is working?

Its a bit of a tough one to trial and error as without it all other allergies come into play, it takes time to go from your system and then you're still at a real loss as to what is worse to live with.

You could try introducing it again, be careful what you eat or drink with it, just in case it is a tummy reaction you get and if you get the same problem then stop.

I've temporarily moved onto Kids Syrup antihistamines to see if a syrup rather than a tablet helps with my intake?

I'm going to see the immunology team soon so maybe I'll have some answers..I think I'll come away with more questions though wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.