Allergy to UTI antibiotics

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has been in my situation.  After months of discomfort, stining and pressure in the bladder, urge to urinate often, back pain on and off, chills etc....I went for numerous culture which all came back with no WBC or growth, I had many tests done, blood, ultra sounds, and like I said numerous urinalysis and culture...nothing, I was then referred to a uroligist and he ordered a special urinalyis that takes a closer look under the microscope, and sure enough they found bacteria....once it grew for a couple days it has come back as strep b.......so part of the mystery is solved......now this is the hard part how to treat it.  Antibiotics that I have been given give me allergic reaction....amoxillian, makes me itch and my throat feels swollen, so I can only get on or two days of that, macrobid causes itching, Septra, terrible itching, rash, short of breath, and cipro I am very nervous to take, I know the one time I tried it it actually made my bladder burn......now what?  The doctors have pretty much said this is all the options I have, so do I just risk taking a chance on a severe allergic reaction by taking the full dose, or do I live with a UTI that could potentionally cause issues.  D-Mannose only works for ecoli bacteria, so that's out, I have been taking that anyways and cranberry, but they are not effective.  Has anyone out there ever run into this problem, and if so what other options are there.  I have been reading about ozone therapy which I can get done where I live through a naturalpath, but I am not sure if it will clear this all up and it costs a lot not to mention how it will feel as it involves a cathader and flushing out the bladder, but at this point I am willing to try anything.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had a resistant UTI. Had to use 3 antibiotics. One was ceftazidime, one was vancomycin. Not sure if they come in pill form tho. I had to do them in IV form. Then was sent home with bactrim which is a pill. Not sure if this helps or not. Figured i would throw it out there. I took alot of cipro it did nothing but make me feel nasty. Infection was resistant to it.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I am not sure if the bacteria I have is resistant, but more that I can not take the antibiotics to cure it without complications.  I am to see an allergist who specializes in desensitizing antibiotic allergies, but I can't get in to see him until next summer, so this is not helping me now.  I am at a cross roads as I do have symptoms (which are uncomfortable) and have had this on and off for two month now, I try to take an antibiotic but after taking two or three, I get severe itching, sore throat and am told by pharmacist to stop taking it as it could lead to life threatening issues....the other night I was in so much agony I took and antihistamine before taking amoxillian suggested by the doctor, and the itching was not sever just very mild, but after two pills, I could feel a lump feeling in my throat when I would swallow.....I am trying to build my immune system to help combat or keep this infection at bay until I find out what other options I have.  I just can't believe I am the only one that has these issues.  I just hope that the bacteria stays in low numbers, in hope I can keep flushing it out.

• Posted

In my case it only took a week to go from in control to out of control. Then one night my temperature shot up and kept climbing. Nothing I did was working to bring it down.it went up and down for a couple days. Then went out if control.
    • Posted

I am praying that this does not happen to me, if it does I will demand to be hospitized because nothing they are giving me I can tolerate, at least in the hospital I can be monitored and they have the proper medications to reverse allergy effects if they become severe.  I have been back and forth to doctors, emergency rooms, and natural path, I saw a urologist last week and he said to just cut out caffiene...this was before the bacteria culture came back......I have done all this pretty much on a weekly basis since the beginning of August, and I am not any better off then I was back then, just more irritated.  I have cut pretty much everything from my diet to depleat immune system, increased fluids, cranberry, probiotics, d-mannose, vit. d, C, B12, iron (as I am low) and still in this situation.  Three urine cultures before this came back no growth even with the symptoms, so someone goofed somewhere.  Regardless I hope this gets cured sooner rather than later as it would be nice to feel comfortable again.
    • Posted

I was in the hospital 5 days. Antibiotics they gave me where hard on my veins. Blew out all of them in my arms. I am only 53. So they where not weak or anything. Spent 10 more days on pills at home after that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.