Allopurinol and tiredness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone find that allopurinol makes them tired? I take it at night and I sleep like a light. While it is considered to be a rare side effect, I am interested to know how common it is. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The matter is in decreasing UA level, I think. Uric Acid is an exciter. Allopurinol makes UA down, working as a depressant.
    • Posted

Thanks Fomich,

However in my case I noticed it from when I first took it.

Have you read somewhere that lower urates lead to tiredness, because that is somewhat counterintuitive?

• Posted

I've read many contradictory things about urates levels. I can say from my personal experience - high urat levels motivates you for action and give you more power (both phisical and mental), but at the same time you become more nervous and irritable. Lower level - lower power and lost nerves. Lower power - higher tiredness, in my opinion.

• Posted

But healthy people have low levels of urates do they not?
    • Posted

Healthy people have their own urates level, which is adjusted for them for many years. The same is for gout sufferers - usually their UA level is high from their early ages. In the youth high urates push the body to live with it. And the body adjusted to certain UA level from the early ages. Then you start to take meds and that "adjusted UA level" is going down, it's not normal for your organism, adjusted for HIGH urates level. It's good for gout fighting, but it's very difficult to other body systems to adjust to new urates level. That's why you are getting tired faster. It takes time to accustom. I think so. 

• Posted

Very interesting comment.

As for everyone having their own urate levels, of course like all levels in the body, but there are norms. As for urate levels being high for gout suffers from an early age - have you a link to that? Why are you of that opinion? You could be right, but that is not my personal experience. My levels were measured at an annual check over a period of 20 years, and suddenly rose over a period of 2 years. 

Again my experience of Allopurinol is not that I get tired faster - it knocks me out within 30 minutes of taking it. I am finding this effect is less than previously now that I am used to it. This happened from the very first day that I took it. 

• Posted

"an early age - have you a link to that?" - only my personal experience. First my attack was in 1990 when I was 26. My UA level was high almost all these years and I felt much more energetic and irritated rater then I had started to reduce it. I've read similar reports of gout sufferers who became much less nervous after reducing their serum urates. But these reports not in English.

" it knocks me out within 30 minutes of taking it." - if so it's another case. Kind of side effect of allopurinol. I've never heard something like that.

" and suddenly rose over a period of 2 years. " - I've read there are known 11 roots of a gout. We definitely have different root.

BR

• Posted

This makes so much sense. I got gout at age 14, and have only had it twice as an adult. My body has adjusted like you said, because my doctors said that Allopurinol is a very strong medicine for the body, that my urate level has automatically adjusted to my body.
    • Posted

Therefore, I didn't need to take it. For me working out, keeping active, and drinking water seems to keep my gout in check.

• Posted

"I didn't need to take it." - how long did you take allopurinol? And what urate level do you have before and now?

To drink a lot of water is one of the main gout therapy. As for me (72kg, 172cm) half a liter per day isn't enough. I speak about pure water, not taking into consideration any juices, tea, coffee.

• Posted

I never took allopurinol, and my levels have always been around 5.
    • Posted

If your blood urate levels are 5, you don't have the diagnosis criteria of gout (assuming we are on the same measuring system).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.