altered mental state

Posted , 5 users are following.

can anyone please help my husband has a high red blood count has anyone with this condition suffered from a change in their mental health he has been acting out of character for about 4 months

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

yes this is very common, i have pv and my mental health is compromised and quite grumpy on bad days.

If you have facebook there is a support group i am in, that i find most helpful and i found a lot of answers to my fears.

MPN Family UK / Intl

Sonia.

• Posted

Hi,

I find I am quite moody at times too. Sometimes I find my attitude to things changes within minutes, from wanting to do something and then loosing interest and switching to something else.

It's probably nothing that anyone else would detect, but it sometimes feels like I am a slightly different person! Which is quite alarming.

It's become more noticeable in the last 2 - 3 years. (25 yrs since I was first diagnosed)

It's not all bad as the moods can be good moods as well as bad, but it's still puzzeling.

It may also be behind other symptoms like sleeping bad a night, dreams which seems to continue 'playing' even when I wake up. Strong desire for food at unusual times, like 3 a.m.!

Maybe others with similar symptoms could reord their experiences here as it's not been raised before tmk.

Nigel

• Posted

thank you for that my husband has not been diagnosed as he hasnt been back for a re test but over the last 4 months his attitude and behaviour to me has changed so much so that he has put up an emotional block and says its a marriage problem but cant tell me what i left him for 3 days last week but now im home his mood is a little better but not back to normal he has blood re check monday
  • Posted

Jackie,

Who, on the medical side, have you asked about this?

It's worth giving them all the information. They may not be able to do anything, but without telling them they can't consider it.

It might be a medication related issue. Or one that can be helped with medication.

Nigel

• Posted

Hi Jackie, I have polycythemia Vera, and it's diagnosed after having a high red count. There a few side effects of having a high red count. Your husband should be properly diagnosed by a Hematologist. If he has the same blood disease I have, there are ways to treat it. I at first had blood draws every so often, then was put on Hydroxyurea and it is working well for me. Also, your huisband should tell the Hematologist about all his symptoms. Hope this helps.

harrishill

• Posted

Hi Jackie, I think that PRV does change your mental state.  I suffer from extreme itching and when the itching is really bad I get very aggitated.  I have trouble to remember things.  I get pressure in my head and sometimes a feeling of light-headedness.

Dianne 70747

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.