Alternative options

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone opted for managing grade 4 CTS rather than having the operation? Splints at night plus exercises everyday and avoiding known triggers mostly keeps it to a tolerable level. However lifting and carrying heavier things seems to be becoming more of a problem. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

For several years, I tried to manage/control/heal the pain and tingling in my fingers with night splints, exercises and refraining from certain movements.  At times, it seemed to get better and then, without notice, the pain would come back light a strike of lightening.  For me, it was next to impossible to refrain from using my hands for any length of time for proper healing.  I also took the maximum cortiszone shots.  

Last October, I finally opted to have surgery on both wrists at the same time. This was the right decision for me, but may not be for everybody.  If I had known several years ago that this would have been such a success, I would have opted for surgery long before I did.  I have been relieved of all the tingling and the trigger finger issues and am so glad I had this surgery.  I still have some tenderness around the incision area on my left hand, but nothing near the pain I suffered with for so many years.  

I have heard that many have great results in trying to manage the symptoms, but for me, it just didn't work.  My doctor also advised me not to wait too long or the potential of irreversable nerve damage could result.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide!  God Bless!!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad that you are happy with the results of your surgery.  I've heard of people with arthritis as well as CTS (like myself)  being disappointed after surgery which is one reason why I have opted for  managing my CTS symptoms. At the moment pain as you describe isn't a problem for me. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • Posted

Who gave you the grading of 'grade 4'? I'm curious as to how many people are actually using a formal measure of severity like this rather than what you usually hear - which is just 'mild/moderate/severe'. There is some chance of controlling grade 4 with splints and steroid injections but quite a high probablity of ending up with surgery in the end - probably in the region of 40-60% though no wholly reliable figures are avaialble. Some surgeons will tell you that it is a 100% likelihood of needing surgery of course. 

Dr J Bland

• Posted

Thats an easy one to answer, as you very kindly looked at my test results and gave me a grade on your Carpal Tunnel website. I've found people posting about successful surgery and regrets/ disappointment after surgery but very little from people managing CTS successfully long term. The thought that surgery is inevitable seems to be widespread. Thank you  for your statistics. 
    • Posted

Ah. We've just completed a follow-up study of patients who began treatment with steroids 8 years ago but the paper is in peer review at present so I can't share the details yet. Ask me again about this in a few weeks time. JB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.