Alternative to methatrexate?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My partner has been taking methatrexate for two years but due to the effect of it lowering his immune system he has suffered many infections and problems with wounds healing etc.  As a result he has had to take various antibiotics, almost continually, for the past year.  He has recently had a severe bout of mouth ulceration which, after research seems to have been caused by the excessive amounts of antibiotics creating a build up of the methatrexate.  Does anyone out there know of an effective, natural alternative to methatrexate.

This forum has helped me a lot in the past with another problem so hope you can help with this one!

Shani

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shani,

sorry to hear your other half is going through a tough time and I don't know of any natural alternatives. However, there are many other DMARDs available, Sulphasalazine and Leflunomide are the 2 I was prescribed following methotrexate induced hepatitis. The next line of defence are the anti TNF biological treatments such as Enbrel or Humira. May I suggest you and your partner jot down dates, name of infection, name of treatment and length and take this to the next rheumatologist appointment. Wishing you success.

• Posted

Dear Shani

He could try taking probiotics to help to boost his immune system.  The NHS has now done a review of the evidence that GOPO Roship (2 capsules 3x per day to start with) is effective in managing joint inflammation - I can't post the link here or the post will need to be moderated, but if you search for it in google, you should find it.  You can start to reduce the dose once the effect kicks in (I now take 2 capsules a day).

I've been taking Rosehip since 2006 with good effect until I had a major flare up and am on methotrexate 20 mg, which I split into two 10 mg doses on Tuesdays and Fridays.  I manage the mouth ulcers by dipping my finger in salt and holding it on the ulcer, which seems to do the trick.

Probiotics should reduce the need for and counter the side effects of the antibiotics.  Keep me posted with the results.

• Posted

As Sheila says, sulphasalazine is less aggressive and toxic than methotrexate and less immunosuppressant effect.
  • Posted

Many thanks for all your helpful comments.  I shall pass them on to my partner and keep you posted on progress.

Best wishes

Shani

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.