Alternative to Morphine immediately after THP

Posted , 13 users are following.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to morphine after a THP? And if there is, how effective is it? Has anyone had an extended spinal? At some point I need another THP and need to avoid morphine. Thanks so much for your advice and information. 

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Possibly Delaudid.  And it works.  This was given to me in the recovery room when I awoke from general anesthesia.
    • Posted

I haven't heard of Delaudid. Will research it now, did you have this beyond the first day?

• Posted

Sorry I did intend to say thank you for replying but knocked the reply button too soon. I am grateful for this information
    • Posted

When I arrived in the recovery room they gave me a dose of Delaudid  per I.V.every 15 minutes x 4 doses.  It took away the pain completely.  This is the only time I was given delaudid.  When I was taken back to my room I was given Oxycodone every four hours as needed.  This kept me very comfortable.  The doctor did offer other medications if the oxy didn't relieve the pain but I did well with the oxy.  Hopes this helps.

• Posted

I can't take any of the opiates, so this probably wouldn't work for me. I am interested in finding out more about Delaudid - I think this too is an opiate sadly....

• Posted

Thank you for your help though.
  • Posted

Hi Rose, I remember your problem with morphine. I had a GA, by request, for my THR but was given a groin nerve block whilst under. This made the area around the op site numb for the best part of two days. I needed very little else
    • Posted

Maggie - thanks again for your advice again, you have been very helpful for so long. I will ask my surgeon to do this for my next surgery. After two days should be okay on the paracetamol as before, but worried about just managing on paracetamol for the first two days...thank you it has taken a weight off my mind. 
  • Posted

I am allergic to morphine. It's best to talk to your doctor for the mant  alternatives to morpnine. The doctor knows what is beat for you he has you medical history and can give you the best meds for the THR surgery.

i wish you well. Keep posting.

• Posted

I will talk to him, but I wanted to get some idea before seeing him what the options are so I can save time during the appointment. I will have a few other concerns to discuss (my last operation wasn't completely straight forward) so I need to have a plan as the appointments aren't terribly long here.

• Posted

Hi Rose,When I had my hip replaced last year,I had no morphine,they gave me ordinary painkillers.Having said that my Hubby is on tramadol,& they do contain morphine,bu taken in small doses,it might help you.Good luck.Hope this helps.regards Amanda

• Posted

Did you manage on paracetamol from the first day? Were you okay? I had to revert to paracetamol on day 3 (not out of choice) It was okay by then but was wondering about first 48 hours!!! :0
  • Posted

Hi Rose. I was give morphine and I did take it while

In hospital. But I realised that codine worked so much better for me. I don't really like the effect of morphine and it didn't help me sleep much at all. But codine knocked me out for the night.

Good luck. Jules. Xx

• Posted

Okay Codeine was good and worked, that is definitely worthy of some consideration thank you so much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.