Always tired, normal or something I should look into?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hiya! This will probably be quite long so I apologise in advance. I'm coming to here to build some research before heading to my GP as my GP tends to not listen and make me feel a fool (like the time I went with chronic hand pain, the doctor accused me of being anorexic, when it turned out to be carpal tunnel!)

Anyway, I am tired pretty much all the time, I never wake up feeling refreshed. If I stick to the same task for a prolonged amount of time I'll start drifting off to sleep, which is especially bad if I'm at someone elses house or work, where I don't have the freedom to potter about and change activities. I'm an avid gamer and have been known to drift off when playing "important" and stressful roles like healer. 

I always put this down to being a teenager, and that it was normal, but I'm now 23 (and female) and if anything it's getting worse. I can quite happily sleep for 15 hours, then struggle to get myself out of bed and then fall asleep again an hour later. I struggle to get myself up everyday. With work etc I usually get between 8 and 10 hours of sleep a night. After a couple nights at 8 hours I end up with hallucinations, the odd time when waking up but mostly when going off to sleep. 

My concentration levels have really suffered over the years, as well my memory. 

If any more info is needed ask away! I just can't think of anything to add right now! 

Thanks smile

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Since there's a mention of anorexia my first thoughts are towards anaemia or low blood sugar levels. But there's also ME, anxiety, depression and an underactive thyroid among other things that it might be.
  • Posted

I'm a fairly normal weight, 125lb (last time I weighed myself which was a a month or so ago) which is normal for my height, age etc. I was slightly underweight when I went to see her, but I have a history of GERD. Apparently my thyroid is normal and I'm not depressed. 

I'm not sure what ME is, I googled it and it says something about chronic pain so I'm not so sure about that either?

• Posted

Have you ever had your B12 levels checked? Sometimes if they are low extreme tiredness can be a symptom. Do you do any physical activity, sports, running etc... Also taking a good multivitamin might be helpful.

It may be that you're not relaxing completely before bed, try some gentle Yoga stretches and breathing exercises. Best wishes Marion

• Posted

Hi...I think you should ask your GP to see a Neurologist to see what is going on in your brain.

I just saw one...and there are things going on in my brain...that are probably causing many of my symptoms that are similar to yours.

Is there MS (Multiple Sclerosis) in your family history?

The Neurologist will rule out many issues...and possibly identify something that you are not aware of.

• Posted

No, I don't think I've had those checked, its very hard to get any help from my local doctors without plaguing them, so I don't bother. I don't do strenuous, extreme exercise, but I don't drive so I would tend to walk quite a bit and I also go for a bike ride a few times a month. I also work on a factory line which had a lot of lifting and moving (almost a work out in itself!)
    • Posted

I think you have to make the effort to "bother" the Dr.  This is your health and you deserve to know what is going on with you.

If you want to feel better...you are in charge...of your health and what you do to figure out what is wrong.  I had to learn that I had a RIGHT to know what is wrong, ask questions, get copies of medical records, etc.

No one cares about your (our) health more than US.

• Posted

Firstly if you are not appy with your Doctor change to one who will actually listen to you. what you are experiencing doesn't sound right so a good GP is the first port of call.
  • Posted

Hi Vonsaur

When i was reading your story it sounded so familiar. I think I have a very similar problem like yours. I also have had it for a long time (since I was about 12 yo. now I am 22) I always wake up tired and never feel rested. Even after 8-10 hours of sleep. Although I don't drift off to sleep doing tasks, I do take naps in the afternoon. 

Even after a lot of regular bloodtests my doctor never figured out what was going on. And my doctor send me to a psychologist. (because if he couldn't find a cause it must be all in my mind (so this did not work either)) 

And although it is very annoing I kind of learned to live with it, but recently I started thinking that I do want to find out if I can do anything about it. 

My brother, who has kind of the same problems, recently found out he has sleep apnea. That might be something worth looking into.  

I really hope you figure out what is causing your problems and I hope you can share it here when you do. 

Good luck with your doctor!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.