Always unwell with stomach.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am so fed up and depressed with feeling unwell all the time. I will have upper abdominal pain (3/4 inches above my belly button) that will last from getting up in the morning to going to bed at night. This has been going on constantly for the last 7/8 months and is starting to affect my working/home life. I am constantly exhausted with no energy; I pick up any bugs/viruses/colds and cannot get rid of them for ages.  I have always suffered with acid reflux and usually take omperazole (1 x 20mg tablet in the morning) However this dosent seem be helping me anymore. I do not vomit as much as I used to, but when I do it burns my throat really bad, it feels like I am vomiting very hot water/bile. Recently my bowel movements have been light coloured and sometimes almost yellow, I am regular on the toilet and will suffer pain in my abdomen after a bowel movement.

I have been to see my doctor and he did an abdominal exam and diagnosed me with IBS and prescribed me Mebervrene, these did not help me at all. I went back to my Doctor and he did a full blood count, a stool test for H-pylori. The blood test came back all clear apart from slightly raised liver count (doctor said nothing to worry about) and my stool test was all clear. I went to my doctors again 2 weeks later and explained I was still no better; he asked if I was still taking omperazole & Mebervrene, I said yes, he said I should not be getting any pain. He seemed concerned. I was then sent for a full abdominal ultrasound scan. Again all clear with no further action needed.

I am at a loss here as what could be wrong with me. I am not losing weight and I have not lost my appetite, I am however sinking into depression. Please can anybody offer me some help or advice on what may be going on inside my abdomen?

Thanks for reading

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I know how frustrating and hopeless and depressing this can be. I've been going through something similar for the past year. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis / diverticulosis by way of pain and fever and then a colonoscopy. It just never really resolved itself I lost 40 pounds couldn't eat or drink because it irritated the left side pain. I still don't have any great answers but now they're leaning more towards an IBS caused from the irritation from the diverticulosis. Working with a gastroenterologist and just getting to know my body and ask a lot of questions is where I've gotten most of my answers. Working with fiber probiotics( specifically the brand Align) and amitriptyline for the colon spasms and now a new medication for the colon spasms called Leveson??? It doesn't seem to fix it but it helps it feel a little bit manageable at least sometimes??

Not sure if you've seen a gastroenterologist or had a cat scan or colonoscopy but I would pursue some of that if you have not already try to hang in there and I know even when we can't fix it talking the others does definitely help😊

• Posted

I have not had colonoscopy or endoscopy but feel so down and depressed with it all. I have forgotten what it is like to be well and healthy. I cannot recall having a good day in the last 8 months and now it is taking its toll on my body and my mind psychologically. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me. Appreciate it.
  • Posted

I had a three and a half month wait, visits to eight doctors and lots of negative tests  before being diagnosed with IBS.    I was at my surgery on a weekly basis.  I even apologised each time because I felt I was being a nuisance!

IBS does not show up in colonoscopies or anything else.  So if nothing is coming up in the tests, then it is Irritable Bowe.  My doctor eventually told me not to have any more investigations because after three months no new symtoms had appeared. I started with constipation, followed by loose stools, constant stomach pain, poor memory and on off nausea.

Having countless negative tests in the end makes you panic more and you stop believing what the doctors are telling you.

I was also prescribed Mebeverine which gave me five new symptoms within minutes and I felt 50% worse.  This made me panic more because I Ithought I had something serious.  Diagnosis was the only thing that much reduced my pain and eliminated my panic.

• Posted

When I had my Ultrasound scan they scanned my gallbladder liver pancreas spleen both kidneys bladder bile ducts epigastric region and I was convinced something would show, but nothing at all. I am taking lipitor statins 40mg daily and have just read the side effects. Upper abdomen pain, pale stools, nausea, cramps. It is crazy and very very soul destroying. Can honestly say I'm at the end of my tether with all this. Thanks for replying.
  • Posted

I would come off the stains and see if your symptoms improve.  These drugs are obviously poisoning your system and if they are making your life a misery then they are no good to you and the side effects outweigh the benefits.  But don't tell your doctor; he/she will only try to foist more poisons onto you.  Your body knows best.

Everytime I go to doctors I come out with more than I went in with; I react to most things they give me.  In fact it was two medical mistakes that brought on my IBS.  The only doctor I trust is the doctor who diagnosed me.

• Posted

Yes I think you are right about the statins. Either way I need to do something. Most of the time the doctor gets his info from a book lol. Try this, then this, then this, etc. Often feel like a Guinea pig and no one seems to be coming up with any answer's. Can understand anything major would have shown on my Ultrasound or my bloods. But yet I'm exactly the same today as 8 months ago. Life sucks at times.
  • Posted

Hi Mark, sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I have colitis, ibs-d, fructose malabsorption & BAM(bile acid malaborption) all successfully controlled now after 3yrs of getting to having everything diagnosed & treated with meds & diet adjustment. It does sound like its possible in your case that the statins may be largely causing your problems; did your problems start roughly when you started the statins? There are other statins you can take that may not cause you problems. My hubbie takes 40mg simvastatin without problems for the last 4-5yrs. If you have a good relationship with your doc, I would talk to him about this before just stopping your lipitor(i have heard it is not good to just stop taking statins if you are on them) maybe he would want to bring you down to 20mg for a week then stop for a couple of weeks & see if your symptoms improve. if they do, you could discuss the other statin simvastatin with doc. as you know you are on statins for an important health reason-high cholesterol, so you dont want to solve 1 problem & be left with another, but what i suggested above would be a reasonable way to find out if the lipitor is the source of your problems, but would definately talk to your doc 1st & show him the side effects on the lipitor leaflet. hope this helps, keep your chin up. smile
  • Posted

Thanks loo loo. I have been out of sorts for a long time now. 8 months ago was when the symptoms started to be chronic and persistent. I have stopped taking omerprazole and use Gaviscon instead. I cannot pinpoint on when I started taking the statins or when the pain/discomfort started.I cannot recall the last time I have a good day that is pain free. Feel I'm getting old before my time. I stopped smoking just over a year ago and can say I have never been right since. I use to smoke 20 a day for well over 20 years. Don't know if this is also contributing to what is going on. I wouldn't think so though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.