Am I being lazy??

Posted , 14 users are following.

So today , 11 days post right THR, I get up go downstairs, wipe a few surfaces, put dishes away, feed goldfish , use my grabber to shove a few clothes in the washer then feel really tired and in pain and toddle off back to bed for the afternoon .., is that acceptable at this stage ? I fell asleep for two hours and read// dozed the rest ...

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

That is completely acceptable. 11 days post op is still very early and your body has a lot of healing to do. The surgery is very traumatic and takes a while to recover from. At this point you should be sleeping any time you feel tired. It will get better, don't overdo it.

• Posted

No you are not being lazy at all, in fact be careful your not over doing it.

Try to do small tasks and have rest in between

• Posted

Hi Hazel. You are doing more than I was at 11 days. You are certainly not lazy just healing and it's a long slow road. You will have good days and bad especially the long nights when you can't sleep

Just take it easy and listen to your body.

As you progress this site is here to help and encourage you.

Live and healing hugs xx

• Posted

Hi Hazel,

Very acceptable behavior, you had had a huge surgery and your body is working triple time to heal, lay low, do what you feel like and go chill.  I think I was feeling the same around that time. Be kind to yourself and don't expect much at this point. Just remember do those excersies!   Sedning good juju for good healing. My Mom used to say " the body heals when it is sleeping". Huggggs Annette

• Posted

I think that is normal after surgery they say while your sleeping your body is recovering so don't fight it 💤💤💤

• Posted

Do as your body advises Hazel. I would advise a little walk though. Even a short walk, little and often, will be good for the healing...

Best wishes...

Rob

• Posted

Hi Hazel.

This is quite normal, I felt like that for a good 3-4 weeks after surgery I would just suddenly feel tired so would just go and have I lay down for a couple of hours, the tiredness will pass and then you will be surprised how much stronger you feel each day.

Just rest when you feel tired.

Good luck

Graham.

• Posted

No you are not being lazy, you are listening to your body and resting when needed.   At this stage I was sleeping an extra 2 hrs in the morning and again in the afternoon.

​Sleep is a wonderful healer so do not feel guilty.   I am now 9 weeks post op and still have the occasional sleep in the day, depending on how much I have done. 

​Good luck with your recovery xx

• Posted

Totally normal - this is a HUGE operation, and takes a lot out of our bodies both physically (as you are finding out), and mentally (as you will probably find out later).

Everyone recovers at a different rate - and everyone recovers more slowly than they think they should cry.

Don't worry, don't overdo it, and above all, don't dislocate.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

I'm 10 weeks out and I still rest up in bed. Most comfy place for me!

• Posted

Hazel - I'm amazed by just how much you are doing, and moving about, I was no where near where you are at 10 days.

You sound certainly that you are listening to you bodys demands, keep up the good work there.

Remember to fit the prothesis they have stolen your bone marrow from your femur, and that bone marrow used to make red blood cells, they carry you oxygen supply, and you wonder why you are so tired, your body does adjust over time, and other bone marrow manufacturing sites rev up their production, but it does take a little while.

Also don't forget your body generally has had a huge shock, broken bones are not fun, and don't kid yourself you biggest bones in your body has been broken even if by surgery, and you hip joint has been dis-located, ever seen footballers dis-locate a finger or shoulder joint they are on the ground writhing in pain.

• Posted

You are going to be like this for weeks.

You will slowly get more stamina and strength BUT it will be excruciating slow. At 6 weeks you'll say the same thing. I found the mental part of the recovery hard. Feeling bored, frustrated and cabin fever. Looking around my house at all the things that needed to be done and not having the energy or strength to do them. Feeling lazy and guilty.

Let that stuff go. Your job is to rest when your body is tired and push a little bit when your body feels good. That's how you recover.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.