Am i being paranoid?

Posted , 28 users are following.

I feel really really unhappy about people who sitting around me or stand next to me, they always touching their noses like i am smelly or something. I don't know if i am a smelly person. I am a clean person. I always take shower in the morning and night. I wash my hair every night. I also use perfume and body lotion every time but still people always touching their noses when they stay or sit next to me. This makes me feel horrible and like i want to disappear from this earth. I feel like i don't want to see them. I feel embarrass. I REALLY am depressed. I also ask my dad and family about smell but they don't smell me or anything. 

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Neneun, Do you think it could be just coincidence, or that maybe you are reading more into peoples actions?  I must admit when I am on the tube I often see others touching their nose but usually its because they think nobody is watching them.  Do you have any really close friends that you trust to be totally honest with you that you can ask?  Either way would you believe them?

For peace of mind it would be worth speaking to a doctor and discussing your feelings, because they will listen.

You've made the first step being on here, so try talking to your gp and keep us posted.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi deaver, thank you very much for the first reply. I definitely say its not coincidence. Maybe i read more into peoples actions however i do tend to see people touching their nose whenever they around me. I do clean myself everyday. My close friend doesnt smell me i've asked but sometimes she also touching her nose. I really dont want to live in this kind of situation where i have to keep thinking this stuff. I really feel depress. I never felt so much depress like this before in the past 3 years
    • Posted

Best thing is to see your doctor and talk it through with them.  Depression is horrible and unless you've experienced it you do not really know how bad it can be.  I feel for you, I really do.  The best thing is to talk, on here is fine but a doctor will be able to run tests or prescribe medication that can help.  However, I must point out that medication varies and what might work for one person may not work for another, and so it can take time i'm afraid.  

Be strong, talk.

• Posted

Thank you deaver. I'll try to go and see doctor. Thank you very much
    • Posted

Please do, they are in the best position to help you.  Does the worry effect your sleeping, because the lack of sleep can make depression worse.

I wish you well and keep me updated.  

• Posted

People touching their noses does not mean they are smelling something bad. If I smell a bad smell I don't touch my nose. People touch their noses quite a lot in any case. Once you start to notice something you start to see it all the time.
    • Posted

I feel unpleasant whenever they touch their nose in front of me. It makes me feel that i am smell... Thank you Evergreen 
  • Posted

Hi I have this problem to and not sure what to do, do you still have this problem.
    • Posted

Hi Mathew'

Its happening to me this thing for a longer period now. People literally clean their noses even strangers that makes clean my nose every now and then.

Even just after cleaning thourougly clean my nose they stil touch thir. some will go as far as covering their whole noses I dont what wrong with mine. My GP has given me different types of sinus pills. the same thing is happening over and over again to me.

• Posted

Hi p28629! I have the same problem as you. It is making me very unhappy. Did you already find a solution to this problem? Please do tell. I'm really depress now. sad

• Posted

hey man !! i apologise about my  english..

i have this problem also and dont worry first of all  its not about your smell ..

second   its not in your imagination so dont think you crazy smile

i also  try to understand why its happened to me and i understand how traumatic it is .

in my case its not only the nose some time the touch their face and mouth or hair .

me theory until now is that something in our look is making people around us to react 

subconscious whit this reactions of touching the nose and exc ...

its like camera effect :  in soccer games for example when  the players wait before they going to the field and  you can see  these phenomena of touching ther nose or face when they realise  that camera watching them , you can see that they react automatic to this in the same way that thay react to me and you.

i think that something in  your   Appearance  cause  these reactions .

its not that you ugly or very beautiful  but your appearance attracts  special attention   !! i  self is  not ugly or model but my appearence attract wary much attention from the environment and good one from  ladies , its funny and annoying  to see that when they flirt whit me for example they touches their  nose and dont realise that its because  of me .

i noticed that when i change the hair cut this phenomena  is changes so maybe its  something in your haircut make your face proportion more noticeable for subconscious of the   environment -   try to play whit it  .

its interesting that psychology  dont know nothing about this phenomena .

so be strong,  i know its  very deficult ( i was in depression because of this )  but you are not alone in this you can share whit people like me  , matthew19026  and some others    - good luck men !!

• Posted

Hi I also know how you feel because I can relate to it people touch their nose often when I'm around and I don't like it because it makes me feel upset and I also am depressed I feel like i don't want to go anywhere just stay in my room forever; I don't know why people think I smell I take two showers a day I carry a deodorant, perfume, mints, and gum with me every day at school but I still seem to be smelling bad to people.😔😩😭😭😓

• Posted

Hi I also know how you feel because I can relate to it people touch their nose often when I'm around and I don't like it because it makes me feel upset and I also am depressed I feel like i don't want to go anywhere just stay in my room forever; I don't know why people think I smell I take two showers a day I carry a deodorant, perfume, mints, and gum with me every day at school but I still seem to be smelling bad to people.😔😩😭😭😓

• Posted

Hi, I’ve dealt with the same problem. When people touch their noses, sometimes it could be a habit, allergies, or coincidence, but in my experience sometimes people do it when they feel uncomfortable (but it doesn’t mean uncomfortable every time, it could be smell but you said you’re clean so yea). But don’t worry it’s not you, what I did is when people touch their nose around me, i did the same ( touching my nose ) and they just stop. I don’t know for some reason when they feel uncomfortable and it shows by them touching their noses, do it too so it  kind of signifies you are uncomfortable too so it kinda makes it easier they are not the only one doing it and it makes it look normal that people just casually touch their nose. smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.