Am I crazy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a spontaneous pneumothorax of my left lung two months ago. It was only 20% so I didn't get surgery and my last xray a month ago showed it was healed, but I still don't feel right. My doctor said I should see a therapist for PTSD and my boyfriend thinks I'm nuts. I get random pains and twinges in my left side which makes me nervous because I know this could happen again. Is anybody going through this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You are not crazy. My daughter has been dealing with this for 2 years now. First one was 10% on her left lung. She kept having pain on her left. Then started having pain on right side as well. 1 yr 2 mo after first collapse her right lung collapsed 25%. 2 weeks later it collapsed again. Continues to have pain in both lungs. Feels like she will collapse again. Doctor hopes she will grow out of it but no guarantees. I recommend looking up spontaneous pneumothorax on Facebook. There are a couple of groups there. You can ask questions and get responses quickly. A lot of info there. Also look up Dann Furia. He has a website with his whole story, also very informative. Good luck.
  • Posted

Feel free to ask me anything. It sounds like your situation is very similar to my daughters.
    • Posted

Thank you for the info. Did your daughter ever have to get surgery? My aunt had this when she was young also but has never had problems since it healed.
    • Posted

She hasn't yet. We have talked to a couple surgeons and pulmonologists. They have different opinions, but we are going the more conservative route since so many seem to have as much pain after surgery as she has now. Our pulmonologist reminded us that you can always have surgery but you can't undo it. She's 16 now. First one at 14. He said she is still growing. Having your lungs permanently stuck to chest wall may not be best. Can complicate future surgeries if ever needed. Also been told lungs continue to grow until 30 yrs old. Said we should hold off until benefits outweigh the risks. So that's the choice we have made for now.
  • Posted

You are definitely not crazy.  My son had spontaneous pneumothorax 21 months ago.  He had chest tube, no surgery.  He had a lot of pain and as a result anxiety for 6 months after that.  The pain eventually subsided.  He gets chest pain when the weather is cold or humid.  He did meditation and saw a psychologist to help with his anxiety. 

Hanging in there.  Good Luck

• Posted

Nikki,

You are certainly not alone in your post pneumothorax symptoms. Have a read of my story.

Regards

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.