Am I having a flare ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I've been on 7mg pred for 11 days now and seemed to be doing fine , yesterday I got up and felt sore between my shoulders which lasted all day , I felt uncomfortable during the night especially  when trying to turn over and got up early this morning as felt really quite sore and stiff. I also have pain in right index finger and sole of right foot both of which I have had since being diagnosed with pmr and which disappeared as soon as I started pred do you think I need to increase my pred and if so by how much and for how long.     

Best wishes molly

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Molly, if you are able to rule out having done something that may have strained your muscles, such as lifting or moving something heavy, then it may be the start of a flare.  Perhaps you could try increasing the steroid dose back up to where you last felt comfortable and see if that provides an answer without the need to go any higher.  But remember you are around the dose that is equivalent to the amount of natural cortisol (steroid) that your body makes when well. This natural production has been suppressed by the higher doses and your natural production will now need to get going again to avoid a shortfall as you reduce lower.
    • Posted

I've tried to think if I have done something I did clean my kitchen the other day but remembered to rest in between as soon as I feel any twinge I do stop for a break , I had a family funeral yesterday and was standing on the cold damp ground maybe that didn't help , I don't want to keep upping pred if it's not necessary but today I'm feeling very stiff and sore when sitting mainly in my shoulders and arms 
    • Posted

I'm not sure that I can answer your question but you may have answered it yourself. I was awake and up early as I am most days and as I didn't want to waken my OH I decided to clean out kitchen cupboards. I thought I was resting and being sensible but, oh boy, I felt it yesterday though it has eased today. I am reducing and at 9.5 so have decided unless it continues I shall stick it out. I realise you are at a different level but I suspect it may be what you have been doing recently. I know someone else will be along with good advice.
    • Posted

I think you have answered your own question.  My opinion? -hold out, as Silver suggests, for a couple more days, provided you are not really incapacitated, and see if it resolves by itself.  If not, you can always go up later.  But do what you can to give yourself the best chance of a non-increase recovery.  Lots of rest, nice healthy food, and some gentle outdoor activity (a leisurely stroll?).  No stressful activities.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.