Am I still suffering from Serotonin Syndrome or Brain and Nerve Damage??

Posted , 38 users are following.

Please help, 2 weeks ago I was prescribed 50mg sertraline for intrusive thoughts, but was not depressed. I took my first one and about 6 hours later I had a very bad reaction I had a fever my blood pressure was high, I had diarrhea and my mind was cray I knew instantly that I had poisoned myself, it wasn't until a week later I read up on serotonin syndrome and realized I experienced all the side effects and still suffer some of them to this day, here are my symptoms I have and have got worse short term Memory loss, agitation, irritability, muscle twitching, shivering, restlessness, sweating(up my neck and scalp mostly), hallucinations derealization/depersonalization, feel disoriented at times, muscle spasms which are painful at times, tingling/prickling sensations in my hands feet chest arms and legs, pressure at the back of my head. I don't get it I was a happy outgoing person until the doctor insisted the tablet would take away intrusive thoughts, not only do I still get them but get even worse! hallucinations! I don't want this sad Have I got the effects from serotonin syndrome or is this permanent nerve and brain damage? sad please help I am quite worried and no one wants to listen to me rolleyes

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hayley, there are so many side effects with sertraline, I was warned by my Doctor, but its something one has to go through until the serotonin reaches the correct levels. Remember sertraline is also prescribed to patients whom have OCD to reduce the obtrusive thoughts. I also have had alot of the side effects that you have mentioned, the agitation, shivering, restlessness, sweating around my neck, tingling sensation in my hands. I think you are only experiencing many of the side effects. I would recommend that you get a tranquilizer until the worst side effects stop. Two weeks is still too early to experience the benifits of sertraline. I am in my third week, and suffer terribly with side effects and am trying my best to just get through the day. The morning being the worst. Try and stay active, I have to physically force myself to do just the simplest task, but there has to be light at the end of the tunnel. I have read it takes around 6 weeks to start feeling thew benifits of the tablet. There is no quick fix, just got to bit the bullet and get through one day at a time, belive me I am also suffering terribly and cant wait to get some relief from this nightmare.
  • Posted

So what I had and what I've got now is side effects from the sertraline?? should it last this long? it's been 2 weeks since I took it and have been getting worse
  • Posted

Hi Haley. It's difficult to explain all that you go through with this sickness but it should get better. Stay with the medication. It will get worse before it gets better. It has to build up in your system in order to work. Can I ask a personal question? Do you believe in God? It is important to believe and talk to our maker for he will help you get completely through. All these uncontrollable thoughts is something you obviously can't control on your own. God did not create us to be able to handle life's circumstances without him. I hope that you believe in Christ Jesus because ultimately the medication can do its part but the Almighty will give you complete healing if you would just call out to him as your Lord and Savior. This depression thing is evil. Can't you tell. All that we describe is Evil and confusion. Call out to God even if you don't know him and ask him to heal you. I am very straight forward and sincere with my words of encouragement. He is the answer. Sincerely Tonyag
  • Posted

It really is worth sticking with it.

Try having a word with your doctor about what you're experiencing, it might be easier maybe to write him or her a letter?

I know there are a lot of side effects associated with SSRIs but unfortunately we msut bear them until they ease of and we start feeling better.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi,

I also was prescribed sertraline two weeks ago and have experienced severe side effects. The worst is the diarrhoea and sickness. I have no appetite and have lost over a stone in weight. I can't sleep for more than three hours, constantly feel anxious (which is what I was prescribed the drug for in the fist place), I think I must be grinding my teeth because my jaw aches when I wake up. I have hot sweats and little or no concentration. I'm tired all the time. I know I have to see it through but does anyone know how long these side effects will last? It's making working almost impossible.

• Posted

Dear Haley,

I was stunned to see that you are having such an obvious adverse reaction to this med and yet people are advising you to stay on it. My advice? Get off it now. The longer you take these kinds of meds the more likely the damages will be permanent.

The worst of the side effect from anti-depressants or anti-phsyc meds in a condition known as Tardive

Dyskinesia. Please look it up. It sounds like you knew there was an issue and stopped taking it right away. When I read all the answers then I wasn't sure what you had decided. These meds were NEVER meant for

long term use and can cause MANY side effects the longer you are on them. Some are irreversible.

Please read this article: https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/g/glenmullen-prozac.html

A simple little drug, Prozac, can cause THIS in two weeks! The other Serotonin up-takes can ALL do the

same thing!

• Posted

THANK YOU!!! So much for your advice, I was researching serotonin syndrome because I had it several months ago after taking Brintellix for three days after being switched from Lexapro. If anyone even remotely thinks they may have it, STOP taking it, and get yourself to get emergency treatment immediately. Better to be safe than sorry when you are dealing with your brain and its chemistry.

I would not ever wish what I went through on anyone Ive met and not liked.

• Posted

thank you for posting your comments and the link for the article...it was very enlightening...

I had serotonin syndrome and found out by reseaching my symtoms myself. My doctor had no idea about it, even as she kept increasing my dosage of Cymbalta as my symtoms grew worst. Cymbalta caused my depression! among other symtoms. Today I am trying to find the cause behind my major short-term memory issues as well as the noticible change in my personality, among other symtoms I am experiencing since the worst of my time on that medication. I so often use the phrase "I used to.." . But that is what everyday life has become. I used to do a lot of things I no longer can do. Reading is one example of that. I was an advid reader, but can no longer keep the gist of what I am reading in my memory, so it loses its appeal, because I have to constantly re-read. I'm sure these are minimal issues compared to what other people go through, but losing "yourself" is still a great loss to yourself.

• Posted

Too right!! I found this cos I believe I am now going through serotonin syndrome! After having some neuro tests and panicking thinking I may have MS or MND from the results I discovered after researching clonus that one of the causes is serotonin syndrome and this can be caused by taking citalopram with amitriptyline and/or opiate pain medication. I take all- citalopram, amitriptyline, co-codamol, tramadol as well as a few other things and have been telling my gp's for years about awful sweating from my head, legs shaking uncontrolably, muscle pain, blurred vision etc etc and they have never connected this!!!!! I am partly relieved that it is probably not MS or MND and partly furious with my docs as they've never made the connection! I have just taken all my meds unfortunately but from tomorrow I am coming off the amitriptyline and opiate pain killers. I cant just stop citalopram as last time I tried the withdrawals were awful and I think it's the combination anyway that has caused it

• Posted

Hi sandy67 

I believe I might be going through the same thing as you. No physician can help me with it. It’s very frustrating. How are you now? And what did you do to get cured?

• Posted

Haley!

Please tell me that you stopped that medication. I'm presently going through seritonin syndrome after taking that pill while on an opiate for pain control. The symptoms started 10 days after I started this pill. Please talk to your Doctor or Pharmacist as soon as possible. Please update if you found the solution.

I wish you all the best,

lorlan

• Posted

Hi Tony and Hayley I am on 50mg of sertraline due to depression to after being on 20 mg and that wasn't

working or having any real effect and I still have difficulty waking up..and mood swings and trouble

Concentrating.. im wondering if the side effects will start easing

Off or should I go back to the doctor.

• Posted

Sorry its Haley..my error
  • Posted

Haley: does sound like serotonin syndrome; had it three years ago and spent three months in bed with complications. There are long-term side-effects such as peripheral neuropathy (such as the muscle spasms and tingling/numbness in lower legs) but suggest you try foods rich in magnesium for those issues. It will get better BUT please be careful about NEVER taking any medications in the future that can take you "within the threshold" of serotonin syndrome (your chemist will know which they are). Good luck, be patient, things will improve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.