Am scared I have bowel cancer, symptoms worrying me!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey there.

My apparent diagnosis (no tests) four years ago was IBS but I've lately been suffering some worrying symptoms that have been really panicking me. I'm a 30 year old female.

The last few days I've felt really crampy, a lot of rectal discomfort and urges/urgency, and been unable to pass as much as usual (but I do get constipation so this is not unusual). At 6am this morning however, I went to the toilet, and when I went I passed some really weird looking stuff, which looked shredded flakey and pink, but when I wiped it was like a reddish jelly looking mucus which I can only assume may be blood. 

I called the doctor later that morning, who spoke to me on the phone and decided as my brother has ulcerative colitis that I would get a referral to a gastroenterologist. It's been four years since "diagnosis" and I have previously asked before to get referred but as this has been my first time having these symptoms, I guess it flagged as more important. I've also been for a blood test today to check for infection I'm guessing, and I have been requested to bring in a stool sample tomorrow (though I'm panicking as to how I'm going to get that one done)

I was wondering if the symptoms are more in line with IBS, an IBD, or whether it is something worse? I'm absolutely scared going out of my mind that it's potentially bowel cancer, and though my brother obviously has UC, I just panic that I have left this too long and that it could be too late.

I managed to go a bit this afternoon after my blood test and it looked like there was still some weird looking stringy stuff on it which i'm guessing is mucus but when I wiped I noticed a couple little specks of red among the rest of the messy brown stool.

Is red mucus more likely to be inflammation? I had taken a photo which I was gonna show the doctor but I didn't get an appointment. Obviously I don't wanna make anyone uncomfortable so I'm not gonna post it here but if anyone has any advice or reassuring words that'd be great. Thank you!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you are getting very good medical advice and support already. The suggestion that you see a gastroenterologist is an excelent one because it will result in your having an endoscopy which your are going to need in order to have a definitive diagnosis.

Try not to worry about bowel cancer. That is a very unlikely senario unless you have a strong family history of that disease. It is as you say MUCH more likely to be related to your IBS. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Andrew. Thanks for the kind response! I know I shouldn't worry too much but it's easier said than done!

It's true that I feel I'm getting the medical advice I need now but I do get worried that the longer I wait for appointments, the more I have to worry. I don't believe I have a strong family history of bowel cancer although am not sure of my mother's parents but know for a fact that my mother is fine and my father never had it (neither did his family). My mum's sisters and brothers are fine too so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned. Only thing my mum had was a benign polyp removed when she was 60 when she had diverticulitis. My brother also has ulcerative colitis but has had it for over four years now.

Im.hoping it really is nothing, maybe ibs as usual but can't understand why there is bloody mucus mixed in. Maybe I have a bacterial overgrowth of some kind who knows. Have very bad stomach pains today and rectal discomfort. Feel blocked up or something.

Anyway, guess I just have to wait and see what happens.

• Posted

Hi,

There is a difference between IBS and IBD. IBS is not a disease as such but you get frequent bouts of unpleasant symptoms like bloating, diarrhea etc, but no bleeding. IBD is a generalised term for diseases such as Crohns disease or Ulcerative Colitis which are far more serious conditions than IBS. Mucus and blood in your stools is a common symptom as well as diahrrhea and the colon wall is inflamed.. Symptoms are similar to IBS and .UC is known to particularly affect Jewish people but not always, and a genetic link is suspected.

The only way you are going to find out the cause of your symptoms is to have a colonoscopy which is a 30 -45 minutes endoscopic examination of your colon with or without sedation. The sooner you have one done the better as you are discharging bllood from the description of your symptoms so that sort of rules out IBS as the cause, but I'm not an expert. If you go through the NHS you might have to wait up to a month or so before they can fit in an appointment, so ask your gastroenterologist or GP to speed things up if possible.

Good luck to you anyway.

• Posted

Thanks. Yeah, I know about the difference with ibs and ibd such as crohns disease and ulcerative colitis. My brother has ulcerative colitis and thought the symptoms can be similar to ibs there is also blood with the stool. I obviously am not gonna know what my real diagnosis is until a colonoscopy is performed but I am scared of the worst outcome.

Im actually really constipated atm and though I used to have diarrhea when I was first diagnosed with ibs I tend to get more constipation and incomplete evacuation alot more these days. I have most of the symptoms you mentioned. I haven't noticed any blood when going today but who knows. I am having bad stomach and rectal pain and feeling bad urgent need to go but not being able to pass much.not sure what I can do other than wait but am scared and just wanted reassurance that it might not be bowel cancer. Hopefully you understand! Thank you

• Posted

I worry all the time. I've been told I have IBS . You can get mucus and at times red blood. I also have find that it can slow stools down and you get only a little at a time. Don't worry just have trust with your doctor and have a colonoscopy. You will be fine don't stress.
  • Posted

Hi...mucous is common with IBS...red blood is better than brown or black.

It is good that you are going to Dr...if the worst was to be told to you (which I don't think it will be bad news).....but, if it is...its always better to find cancer early.

• Posted

Hi,I was 39 when I was diagnosed with colon cancer,size of the surgeons fist apparently, I had a 65 percent chance of living the next 5 years,my symptoms were severe pain across the lower abdomen,the smell, metallic taste in your mouth,uncontrollable diorea,constipation, losing weight without trying,the blood looks like coffee grains,alot of symptoms are similar to ibs etc,because your age don't get palmed off with, your too young to get it. Please please push to get camera, I put my health in the gp's hands and paid the price,I'm 42 now and no sign of reoccurrence.hope this helps good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.