Amatryptiline and Antabuse

Posted , 3 users are following.

I see from the notes that you should be careful if you take amatryptiline and antabuse. Does anyone know why? Has anyone else taken both medicines?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The reason why you have to be careful with Antabuse is because it blocks the liver from breaking down alcohol. If you drink alcohol you will have effects that won't be pleasant, and you will not do it again. You can take amitriptyline,but if you drink,the effects will double. That won't be fun, and could be dangerous. DO NOT drink alcohol. If while taking Antabuse,you experience any side effects,then call your doc,and let them know. If you are taking the Antibuse because of alcoholism then I hope you get better.

• Posted

Hello Daviemac

Personally I cannot understand why anyone would find it a good idea to missuse this medication, I have been taking 75mg o this drug for a long time and this drug has nothing to give a miss user. Especially i you take Antabuse ?

Both drugs are not clean as such and you take od on both your kidneys and liver can be effected, they can amplifiey drink and that can also cause problems.

These days Amytrptalene is not just used for Depression also for nerve damage.

So I just do not understand the reasoning here, they taste bad as well

BOBĀ 

• Posted

From whal I've read on the web, it looks like amitryptiline increases the reaction to alcohol if taken with antabuse, so the warning is, don't take alcohol at all while on these medications.

• Posted

Hello

With Amytryptaline I do actually drink when taking it, of course that is my choice

As long as everything is done in moderation

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.