AMI, LVEF, TT

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had AMI Widowmaker (100% occlusion) in April this year.  Single stent left anterior downward coronary artery.  No other isues with arteries. No history of heart disease. No symptoms leading up to AMI.  Healthly, exercise regularily, don't smoke, 55 years, etc.  Serious heart damage, but I feel OK.

Day after, AMI echocardiogram identidied LV Thrombus.  LVEF 20 percent.   Was doing the triple thearpy blood thinner.  Asaprin, Plaxiv, and Warfarin.   

Just did another echocardiogram and doctor consultation (so almost 4 months after AMI and first echo.).  LVEF is still low (25-30 percent, dang!). Thrombus appears to have resolved (good).  Doctor was not optimistic about strong recovery of heart functions EF (strange).  Very, very discouraging.  He asked me to stop the warafin due to LV Thrombus resolution.  

With low LVEF, I am terrified of developing another LV Thrombus and cerebrial embolism, but he thinks the bleeding risk outwieghs the risk of embolism.  Also wants me to get a defibrillater (ICD).   Have done lots of reading about these issues and not much guidance and few studies.

Comments?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam, I'm not going to be any help to you as my problem was a leaky valve which I had repaired 3 years ago, but I wanted to say that I'm thinking of you - you have had a lot to deal with and so much to take in and think about. It's such a shock when first diagnosed as it often comes out of the blue so not only do you have an operation, tests etc but it's hard to get your head around it! Feels very unreal. I hope you get lots of helpful advice and info and wish you the very best.

• Posted

Thanks Linda. I was dealing with things pretty well until a few days ago, but I guess it is what it is! I just never imagined that things would happen this way. I am still hopeful for my recovery and sincerely hope that you are doing well after your valve work. Thank you so much...
  • Posted

Hi Sam, I am also unable to help but I do understand how you must be feeling. I am awaiting a CMRI in sept to see how much damage I have from a virus that at takes my heart following a chest infection last Dec. Last test said that my EF was 30/35%, I have dangerous heart rythems so will probably need an ICD like you. 

From what I have read most people are reassured by having the device as it  gives the  confidence to go out and be active and exe. The procedure is  relatively easy as a day case. I have also read people's ability to increase their EF over time with help from medication. One cardiologist has said that modern cardiac drugs are "like a heart transplant in a bottle". My GP says that the acute anxiety that we feel post heart trauma is partly due to a chemical release from the damaged heart that has a direct effect on the brain. So it's not just the psychological stress that having to adjust your life suddenly it is a combination of both. 

I have found the hardest thing is being unable to do all the activities I used to, mountain walking, cycling, working. I even miss housework. It sounds like you are doing well given all the trauma of what you have gone through. I wish you all the best in your future treatments, and I hope things improve. Know that you are not alone. Heartfelt wishes, Glynis

• Posted

I hear you on the ICD. It just seems surreal. Heart disease seems like a slow motion car accident. I was always amazed by the capability of the body and mind to function and excell, but I guess things break down sometimes. Let's hope that the repairs go well so we can get back on the road!!!!

Thanks for reaching out and hoping that your condition improves.

Sam

• Posted

You seem to have a good relationship with your Doctor and Cardiologist. Ask them about your worries as they're the best ones to speak to as they know you and your medical history. It might put your mind at rest. You have a good grasp of what they talk about and understand the medical terms. Good luck. Mo Trouble

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.