Amiodarone

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have taking Amiodarone 200mg for about 35 days  for my AF .However, I still get irregular occasional especially after taking hot food. The improvement to my condition is marginal. Can anyone advise me if I should continue with Amiodarone. Also,I have been on warfarin for the past 3 years . Due to the interaction of Amiodarone with Warfarin, my doctor has reduced my Warfarin dosage from 4.5 to 3.5 to maintain my INR between 2 to 3.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Did your doctor reduce your Warfarin dosage as soon as you started Amiodatone or after he found that your INR had dramatically changed? I had to find out for myself that Warfarin dosage should be halved when starting Amiodarone when my INR went from 2.5 to 3.9 over ten days.

Google 'the history of amiodarone' or read peoples reaction to this drug in this forum. It is an effective drug but a dangerous one.

As you have been on Warfarin for so long were you on another drug for AF prior to  then?

• Posted

Hi Steven

One of the important side-effects of Amiodarone is its effect on the thyroid.  My husband was given it for iregular heartbets as you were.  He did not have thyroid function tests before he was prescribed the drug by the consultant cardiologist nor did he have them done at any time while he was on the drug. He came off for various reasons and was referred back to his GP who immediately sent him for thyroid function tests.  The lab phoned the results and told him to go to his GP immediately.  His results showed he had [u]no thyroid function [/u]whatsoever and it is a miracle that he is still alive. Fortunately the situatoin is reversable and he was put on thyroxine straight away.  He has been on thryoxine  for 6 months now and in fact his dose has been reduced at the last check because it appears that his own thyroid has partially recovered so the GP is monitoring the level carefully - Amiodarone stays in in the system for several months after you take the  last dose.  I cannot advise you about staying on Amiodarone but I do recommend that you make sure your doctor has your thyroid function checked.  Incidentally I am a Fellow of the Institute of Medical Laboroaty Scientists  in Biochemistry and have worked in hospital laboratories all my professional life.  Ann.

• Posted

Hi, as I have been re diagnosed with AF not SVT, I now take one Amio daily since December, I have no problems now but I do ot eat much hot food or gulp drinks. I am very happy as the drug for SVT was not working well- no wonder . HUH- 
  • Posted

My only advice - and I cannot emphasise it too strongly!! - is to make sure your doctor checks your thyroid function.  My husband apparently had no side effects from Amiodarone until a very conscientious GP who had not previously been involved with his care - had a full blood profile including thyroid function done.  My husband's thyroid had been completely wiped out - he had no function at all and this is one of the side-effects of Amiodarone.  Fortunately thyroxine is available in tablet form but it looks as if he will be on thryoxine for life. Read the patient leaflet carefully but insist that your thryoid function is checked.
  • Posted

And cornea problems. My GP says it is a nasty drug of the last resort, but it gets the job done. LFT's  need checking, And you don't neccisarily have to to the cinema to have the 5:1 experience!
  • Posted

Hi there, I've been on Amioderone for 3 weeks and the difference is huge although my cardiologist advised me that the drug could take several weeks to get into your system and start working.

If you have persistant AF you could request an alternative to Warfarine such as Riveroxiban wich does not react with Amioderone and does not require INR checks.  GP's are reluctant to prescribe this as an alternative as the cost dfference is huge so you may need request this via your consultant.

• Posted

I have been on Amiodarone since January for AF. I also take warfarin 3-4 mg daily plus Valsartan for my blood pressure and digoxin to slow my heart rate. In a blood test in July it was clear that my thyroid was no longer working , so my GP recommended I see a consultant . That took another 2 months. He did more tests which showed lack of thyroid function and put me on a minimal dose of thyroxine for a month. I have had another blood test and see the consultant next week , but my GP thinks I need a higher dose of thyroxine. The tests have shown the failure of my thyroid is down to the amioderone .also make sure you have regular eye checks every year . My optician Specsavers do very thorough screening because of the Amiodarone and they arranged an appointment with an eye consultant in hospital. I have seen him twice and so far so good! But he warned me that amioderone can cause eye problems , usually in the long term so I must keep getting eye checks. Worth knowing if you don't wear glasses and therefore would not normally go to an optician. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.