Amiodarone tablets

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone been prescribed Amiodarone for Atrial Flutter/Fibrilation. I have been on this for 9 Days and am finding the side effects dreadful . I don't know if I should persevere for a bit longer or see my Dr.to see if there is anything else I can try.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was prescribed bisoprolol and ramipril for A/F. After putting up with awful side effects for 3years I asked to see a cardiologist. He prescribed digoxin plus biso and rampril. I researched the digoxin and decided not to take it. The cardiologist was very uncommunicative and no explanation. My husband who was with me was also unhappy with the appointment. I went to my GP...new one... And he agreed to change the biso to atenolol. I have lots of side effects from this med too. Yet another visit to my GP. Another new GP,very cold fish,but she agreed to me reducing the atenolol. 3 weeks now and there is a definite improvement in how I feel. I take my blood pressure  regularly and pulse. Pulse is still reaching 114 BPM at times,but I feel ok especially as I take rivaroxiban to thin the blood.

I researched amiodorone before I went to the cardio. He said he wouldn't give me this med and that digoxin would be prescribed. 

All meds have different degrees of side effects with each individual,but google this one and you will see what NHS and others have to say. 

I am no doctor,but if I were you I'd be seeing my GP . You have to push to get someone to listen. I'm still struggling and still have many questions unanswered.

• Posted

See your doctor for an alternative. I and others here have had a wide range of terrible side effects from this drug that doctors prescribe as if they are Smarties.

Google:  'the hstory of amiodarone'  

• Posted

Stop Ameoderone immediately,i had them for six months ,nearly killed me.Stop,stop ,stop.
  • Posted

Dear Stokie1 - Hope things are improved for you - since your post  

happened a month back, but I do so agree with elizabeth12 - - -  

Drs can only assess you, use the protocol set for the condition, 

then see how you do...that means go back and back again if

needed and prod them until you get the needed results.  

Docs also know that every word they utter during an OV is

going to be memorized , repeated, criticized, + interpreted.

Conversation lengthens the OV, and the Insurances only pay 

For certain amount of minutes in each category of visit.

Then each change has to be tried and assessed again……

And yet we have to be grateful  for what Science has invented

In medicinal assistance…  In my case I’d rather be tired ,dizzy,

bells+crickets in my ears… 15 lbs heavier, from the 

10mg Bisoprolol with 6.25mg HCTZ , than being an invalid

without the betablocker, or dead from the MI I had in 87.

Yet if the SEs are so bad for you, and your " ??? RESTING ???" pulse is that fast - you need more help yet...!!!

Amiodarone is a new one on me, so it is Google time once more.

I have started several years back, to take that script home, google the prescribed medication and DOSAGE first, to find out more what to expect. have even caught allergy-related mistakes that way, as I am allergic to 12 different meds... Then I google for generics, and prices, offered by different Pharmacies... as it happens in our part of the frozen landscape of USA - Walmart has many price reductions available for meds on their medication listing...

In the meantime – my best wishes for a good resolve,... wishing you well !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.