Amios - (Candesartan)

Posted , 6 users are following.

My sister has been on this and has been for deveral years. She recently read, in a womans magazine health section, that blood pressure medicatiion should be taken at night. She has always taken it in the morning but the only instructions given are Take One Daily.

Thoughts please.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I take 12 mgs of Amias ( Candesartan) when I go to bed at night with a drink of water.. Was  told to take it at night by my gp.

• Posted

I believe it's normal for blood pressure medication to be taken in the morning.  The only time I have been advised to take it at night is initially when starting a different medication - the reason being that there can be a sudden drop in BP when first starting a new pill and being asleep in bed we are unlikely to notice it.
  • Posted

Hi, I've now been on 3 different ypes of medication to lower my BP and all have had significant side effects. However, All have had the unsettling effect of blurring my vision and which is seemingly common. To avoid the worst excesses of this I found that taking it at night causes the least disruption to my day. I don't think that time of day is that important in most medications, as, for it to be effectvie the body has first to achieve what is known as the therpeutic dose in the system. So, once you have achieved the required level in your system, the time that you take the medication is largley irrelevant because you are simply "topping-up". However, it is important to take the medication at the same time each day so that there is a continuity of level in your system.
    • Posted

Thanks as has cataract problems anyway so this is useful to know
  • Posted

Usually it is better to take medications for Bp in the mornings as we go through the day and it's stresses which increase the Bp while at night usually a person is more relaxed and when asleep the Bp tends to come down a bit so it's advisable to take the medications in the mornings...also if some of the patients are prescribed diuretics it is pretty uncomfortable to wake up from sleep frequently to use the restroom...so it would be better if they are taken during the day time..
    • Posted

Hi there, point taken. However, Perhaps now that I'm retired I'm less affected by stress during the day. Having suffered from prostate troubles too for over 3 years and had recent surgery, followed by an extended bout of prostatitis, my sleep pattern was already very disrupted. I think that the night time dose of Amlodipine (to lower my BP) worked in my favour, as the frequent sleep disturbance was in itself very stressful. So, perhaps in my circumstances it worked to my advantage. I also had to balance the severity of the visual blurring against how I functioned during the day. Thankfully, most of the worst excesses of the side effects have gradually diminished or gone away. I suppose we must all evaluate out situations and make the most advantageous decision.
  • Posted

I changed to this one but find I still trek to the loo more if I take them at night! They give me a permanent headache so I want to change them. Best to try both and see whether there she notices any changes. Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.