Amitriptyline

Posted , 9 users are following.

I hacve been taking cocodamol and ibruprofen for severe joint pain. Sometimes it is really bad that I can hardly move. I saw my GP yesterday and he prescribed Amitriptyline to be taken at night incrasing gradually to 50mg. I was told this was once used as an ani depressant, and on reading the leaflet inside it terrified me as it says you can get sucidal feelings. Just wondered if anyone else has been on this drug for pain and how they coped with it.

Louisa

3 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

i was put on this drug for head aches ,due to taikng  another antidepressent , a short time after that i found i had oa and have been on this drug now for well over a year ,ive found it great as pain releife and the only side afect i get is a dry mouth ,love this drug its been so helpfull 
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie glad it has helped you I am so greatful for your reply
  • Posted

Amitriptyline is prescribed for nerve pain so presumably the doctor suspects that this is the cause of your pain.

I was diagnosed with hip OA years ago but I've never had any pain. But around a year ago I tweaked a muscle doing deadlifts and after a couple of 'retweaks' I ended up in incontrollable sciatic type pain. I couldn't sleep, I was on on cocodimol, diazipam (muscle relaxant), tramadol, diclofenec - all at the highest dose and it wasn't touching the pain.

Finally I got onto amitriptyline and that eventually got the pain under control. I stopped taking all the pain relief and after about 6 months I stopped taking the amitriptyline and now I'm pain free and back to my active lifestyle. There was also a psychological element to the pain with me (the pain was very real, but I'd got into that 'chronic pain sufferer' cycle where the nervous system over-reacts to pain singals - if that's a possiblity let me know and I'll tell you how I solved that one!).

I was lucky - aside from feeling drowsy for the first few days and a bit of a dry mouth at night I had zero side-effects. Most drugs **CAN** have side-effects, but with this on I think most that you do get wear off. You build up the dose gradually to let your body adapt. I built up to 50mg and took that for a few months.

Have a google search for the terms "amitriptyline pain concern" that will bring up an article on the Pain Concern website that should put your mind at rest.

• Posted

Thank you Susan can you also tell me how you solved the other problem as I will try anything.

I will also look at the website you mentioned

• Posted

I was very interested to read your reference to 'chronic pain sufferer' cycle.  I hadn't heard of this before but it struck a chord with me.  I would love to know what you did to address this and if you can point me to any further helpful info.  I've been experiencing chronic tension headaches and migraines very frequently for several years now and my GP has just suggested amitriptyline as a preventative measure.  I'm not too keen on taking a prescription drug and the potential side effects, but I'm also not enjoying my life with this chronic pain!  
    • Posted

Susan did u have any problems coming off amitryptiline ? Are u still pain free x
  • Posted

Hi Louisa

I dont take this one....was offered it but it clashed with another drug I was taking but I know a lot of people that do take it.

The only problem I've come across from talking to them is a dry mouth and sometimes drowsieness when its given as a muscle relaxant. They find they have to take it about 7pm for them not to feel really drowsy in the mornings. They have tried different times but definitely not last thing LOL

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi, i was given diazepam and told it would relex the muscles. then my family looked at me as if i needed nerve tablets, not a leaflet in my box but they make you go to sleep.
  • Posted

Hi,

I was taking it until I was getting migraines that would not go away. It helped me with the pain. Anti depressants are often prescribed for pain as mood sets the tone for cortisol release a hormone which causes pain. The receptors in the brain pick up anti depressant meds and controls cortisol release in the brain the pain causing hormone. 

A merry go round if u will effect go on without antidepressants. Pain causes depression, depression & pain cause the hormone cortisol release...and round we go. 

Antidepressants do help stop the pattern in the brain and there r many types on the market. Try not to put to much weight on the side effects give it a try. It could help give u better pain relief. 

GOOD LUCK exclaimbiggrin

• Posted

Thank you have given me more confidence with that expaination so I will give them a try.
  • Posted

Hi Louisa

There are different doses of that med.....as there are all others  sorry that sounded stupidbiggrin

Its just that the smallest dose ios a muscle relaxant and it has to be a higher dose to work as an anti depressant.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Thanks Eileen i will give it a try as everyones info has been so helpful.
  • Posted

Hello Louisa,

I have been on amitriptyline for a few months now, to help with pain and sleeplessness. Have gradually worked my way up to 40mg, doctor said I can go up to 75gm. I find it helps with the sleep, in fact I have to take it at 6pm otherwise I could sleep for most of the next day! It does releive some of the pain, but not all. It does not stop me from sleeping, gradually builds up during the day, if I have been quite active, in which case I take ibuprofen. I have not had any suicidal feelings. Hope this helps.

Take care Anne

Hope this he

• Posted

Do you take it all at once Anne or some many times a day?
    • Posted

Sorry for dela%pmy, just got this message. I take it all at once, 5pm, helps me sleep

Take  care , Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.