Amitriptyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

This drug has been suggested to me on several occasions. Has anyone here taken it? If so how did you get on?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

H,i yes I have been taking this drug to help with my post vasectomy pain syndrome and it takes away pain by about 60% I have taken it for several years with out having any problems
  • Posted

I tokk this for a wile and got on very well with it with no side effects.
  • Posted

Been on it about 2 years now, I take this drug for CPS (Chronic pain syndrome) along with other drugs

When I first took it I couldn't wake up for more than about 15 minutes for about 3 days, then that passed and I seemingly have few side effects if any from it.

• Posted

When I was a psychiatric nurse, back in the 70's, Amitriptyline and its cousin Imipramine were the only

antidepressants . They are called the tricyclics and are still used sometimes. The `new' antidepressants are the SSRI's and the SNRI's. They include Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil among others. Recent research is showing that

the tricyclics and the SSRI"s and SSNI's perform about the same. But the tricyclics have more severe side

effects than the `new' ones. Unfortunately studies have shown that neither are very good except, sometimes, for very severe depression. People with this level of depression usually have to be hospitalised, so if you're

not that bad, you MAY not be helped much by either. But you MAY be. Everyone is different. HOWEVER,

I once had a severe depressive breakdown and was prescribed Imipramine. For whatever reason, I got better very quickly. (10 days), Did it do it or did I just think it did it, I don't care. I took it for 2 years then tapered it off and was medication and psychiatrist free for 30 years. I had a career, raised 2 kids and I never even had to see a doctor again afterthe 1st 2 weeks.

Look it up, take the studies descriptions and conclusions with a pinch of salt, they may/probably have come

from the Drug companies but there is some useful info there. There is no excuse nowadays for just taking

everything lying down. YOU are in charge of your life, OTHERS ARE THERE TO HELP YOU DO IT! As I

always say, love yourself, you're worth it.

deee

• Posted

I suffer anxiey, cant sleep. was prescribed this to make me drowsy, hence help me sleep. no effect, Dr increased dose to 25mg, On google it seems its a form of antidepressant. My Dr know I do not want anti-depressant
  • Posted

Hi I broke 5 vertebra in my back and was struggling with muscle spasm's and my doctor gave me Amitriptyline to be taken in the evening / night time and it did help but as time went on and I was improving I decided to not take it, and to my surprise I found it did work as I went right back to bad muscle spasms. I don't suffer any side affects apart from being able to rest for longer periods during the night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.