amitriptyline

Posted , 5 users are following.

My daughter suffers from neurofibromatosis and is often in a great deal of pain. Her consultant wants to place her on a nerve blocker and has chosen amitriptyline . I however am not really happy with her going on this....does anybody have and alternatives I can argue back with?

Thank you

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Well I took amitripyline and didn't like how it made me feel. I was taking cymbalta a at the same time. They took me off the amitripyline and put me on lyrics. I took lycria and cymbalta together for about two years. I was on the max of cymbalta 120 mg. I currently take only lycria which isn't doing much. I have an appt scheduled with a pain mgmt Doctor. I think my next step is going to be surgery.
  • Posted

Hi emmadale

Why do you have objections to amytriperlyne, I have suffered with neuropathic pain for years and I have found amytriperlyne an excellent pain reliever, if you really don't want her to use it then talk to her consultant about Fentanyl and if her pain is that bad then use them both I use them both with Oramorph for break through pain

Regards

Attempt 82

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. ..I don't have any objections be on the drug in it is very helpful to some...however both my mum and I have both been on amitriptyline at one time or another and found the side affects extreme and the withdrawal terrible...I just thought the chances of her having the same problems were quite high
    • Posted

Do you all suffer from  neurofibromatosis ?
    • Posted

hi again

you could try the drug to see how she reacts, you can adjust the strengths and combinations, whewn you have chronic pain it takes time to find the best treatment and it may be worth asking your doctor to refer her to the Pain Management team they can be a great help.

good luck

john (attempt 82)

• Posted

No only her...I had a car accident..I also suffer from bipolar and my mother has fusion of the spine
    • Posted

So sorry to hear that. You are a very unfortunate family. I thought that it might have been genetic.
    • Posted

Thank u...it is either generic or from a mutant gene..she lucked our unfortunately, but saying that...she could be so much worse plus it's made her into the beautiful and well rounded person she is today
    • Posted

Thank u..oh I forgot she also suffered a stroke when she was 3 (she is now 16)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.