Amitriptyline! Does it work for you

Posted , 7 users are following.

Was just wondering if anyone else is on this med and if it works for then, I have been prescribed 75mg at night to help with sleeping but to also help with my migraines.

I take it about 7pm but still have trouble getting to sleep and still wake in the night with pain, I also wake in the morning with a headache.

The only thing that clears my headaches is Co-Codamol but I am sceptical about taking again as I got addicted to it, I cannot take NSAID as i got a stomach ulcer after taking Naproxen for so long even with Omeprazole. 

Been on the Amitriptyline for 3months now so I would think it was well and truely in my system.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I know people for whom it helps with sleep and as a migraine prophylactic (generally lower doses than you're on though). You'd have thought that if it was going to work, it would be doing so after 3 months. Probably best to talk to your doctor about any possible alternatives? Sorry to hear that it's not worked better for you.
  • Posted

Hi I had chronic migraines my neurologist gave me noratryptline it sorted the migraines and helped with sleep I eventually came off them maybe ask about them hope this helps
  • Posted

Also be carefull with co cocdamol they can give you rebound headaches I found this out but at the time my pain was so bad I would have took anything work with your gp or neurologist 3 months you should be getting some benefit so I would be questioning amatryptyline to my gp
    • Posted

Hi, totally agree about co-codamol, I did become addicted about 3yrs ago so rarely use now. I am a patient of the National Migraine Clinic in London and have pretty much tried all medication going for the Migraines even Botox, 38 injections in my head every 3months!!! 

Its more the pain in the rest of my body that wakes me through the night and I think because of the broken night sleep I then develop the Migraine. 

Going back to the drs next week so we will see what they trial me on next !!

• Posted

Have you tried yoga before bedtime mindfullness meditation might sound bit far out but I have m e and it has helped quite a bit with sleep and pain issues worth a look into any way hope you get something that helps
  • Posted

I've had me/cfs for nearly 9 now . Started on a low dose of amitriptyline . Now I'm on 175mg a night. I found it really hard to sleep, and when I did finally get to sleep it was for no more than 4hrs . I now get to sleep no problem , but still have the same problem staying asleep . 5hrs and I'm up again. I don't get many headaches , but when I do it lasts a couple of days . I have tyred lots of different pain medications and methods . Now on pregabalin co-codomol and amitriptyline. I feel I'm running out of options . Just wish I could have a wee break from this . I forget what it feels like to be normal. I used to have good days and bad days . Now it's just bad days and worse days . Lx
  • Posted

I've cfs and I have been getting pretty horrible migraines pretty much on a daily basis. What I just recently realised is that i only stared getting them after I've stopped my daily yoga practice due to lack of energy of course. Since I've resumed, the most I had is very slight headache but nothing compared to what I used to. Needless to say, I pretty much have to keep up the daily practice - whenever I miss it, migraine guaranteed. Also have to add, that only my Mysore Ashtanga practice does the trick, other styles don't work for my headaches. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.