Amitriptyline Dosage

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I've started on 10mg amitriptyline and want to increase the dosage to 30mg. I've taken the 10mg for two days, am I okay to increase to 20mg now, or is there advantages of increasing dosage gradually? E.g. Up the dosage every week?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

What were your GP's instructions?

• Posted

I don't have a gp I live in a country where I got it from the pharmacy

I take the amitriptyline for tension headaches and migraines

• Posted

There are different reviews for it online. Do you find 10mg helps? Personally I would give it a week or two before upping the dosage as there are a lot of side effects with it.
    • Posted

I only really feel a bit more tired in the morning... so would it be safe to up now? I feel 10mg helps slightly
    • Posted

I wouldn't want to say as I've had some really bad side effects for meds. Can you ask at the pharmacy where you got them? Or google the dosage for migraine?

• Posted

Your dr should have told you, you could call the pharmacist and ask. I think it's weekly, but it might be a good idea to check.

• Posted

I know my Dr. waits a month before upping any of my new medications.

Because it will build up in your system...10 may work fine....after a couple of weeks.

• Posted

Have had amitriptyline in past and found the higher dose made me feel like a zombie in the morning,stopped taking it then.

• Posted

Hi Jason, I would stay on yhe 10 mg for a week (let your system get use to it). The second week I would go to 20 for a week. If you are feeling side effect free, go ahead and increase to 30. I've had migraines for 30 years. For the last 6 years the migraine has been constant. I wake up with it and go to sleep with it. I took amitriptyline up to 150mg. Each dose would help for awhile but soon I would need a higher dose. At 150mg they no longer helped and my husband couldn't wake me up. Too scary to take any longer. Take it slow. Take care and God bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.