Amitriptyline for pain and weight gain

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have just been prescribed amitriptyline 10 mg at night for pain in my knees. Does this medication always cause weight gain, or do some people actually lose weight on it. I haven't started it yet. When I gain weight my knees get worse, that is why I am asking. I hope someone can help me 😊

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't know your age group Kerry but 10mg is a low starter dose and it certainly aids sleep which is important as constant pain is very wearing. If you are prone to weight gain I think you could watch your diet carefully so that calorie intake is not the problem. Hope it helps you because it is certainly worth trying unless you have eye problems (such as glaucoma) but your Doctor would hopefully know your history and feel it is appropriate. 
  • Posted

When I was on 20mgs a day for years and I didn't put weight on but I've gradually increased the dose to 50mgs so it's a case of wait and see. 
  • Posted

My doctor just prescribed me it...my neurologist did as well. I'm like frigggg I heard about the weight gain and I have already put on weight and trying to lose it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.