Amitriptyline - How long should it take to work for migraine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking Amitriptyline for 6 days now, starting on 1 x 10mg tablet for 3 days and now 2 tablets for 3 days, as per my GP's instructions. I have been waiting for the drowsiness which has yet to come, although I have felt a bit groggy in the mornings, I am stil able to get up and still wake at night. Only other side effect is a sight dry mouth, however it's not doing ANYTHING for my migraines. I have had a persistent headache for a week now and it's not going away. I'm wondering if I just haven't found the right dose and if it might improve the more tablets I take each night. But my GP told me it should take effect after a couple of days so now I'm wondering if it's just not the right drug for me... Any advice or feeback welcome, thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I dont believe that amitriptyline is suitable for migraine. Ive been taking amitriptyline for 6 years for nerve and to help me sleep. I think u shouldgo bak and c your doctor or even another doctor in the practice

This drug is used for depression and nerve pain maybe try migraleve instead

• Posted

Thanks for replying but my GP told me that it is no longer used to treat depression because of it's sedative side effect in larger doses. It is widely used to treat migraines, and I know others who have had success with it, it's just that I have no idea how long it's supposed to take...
    • Posted

Your GP is right. Amitriptyline was prescribed for depression years ago but now there are more  to date treatments for depression it is no longer prescribed for that anymore. Persevere with it Susie and hopefully you'll get some relief.
  • Posted

Hello susie. In trials Amitriptyline has shown to significantly reduce the frequency of migraines but you need to take it for about 3-4 weeks before you will see any affect. There are a lot of extremely positive reviews from patients who have got a lot of relief by taking Amitriptyline. I'm a Nurse Prescriber so I do know a lot about drugs and how they act. Persevere and if you don't get any relief go back to your GP because I can assure you he has given you the correct treatment.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying, it does make sense for it to take a while to get into your system and I do tend to be immune to a lot of treatments so I imagine I will end up on the maximum dose! I will keep going for a month before I return to my GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.